We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

Was just reading the thread regarding US citizens converting (or not) to JMD. It seems everyone posting on that thread is American, so rather than rocking the boat there, thought I'd start out fresh with the Canadian angle.

I've been to Jamaica once. Took mostly USD and some JMD as well as USD travellor cheques. As a Canadian, it seems that rather than getting hit with exchange rates twice (regarding the travellor's cheques, I was given JMD when cashing in Negril), I may as well just take some JMD obtained from my bank at home, to get me started, and then perhaps get JMD out of the ATM while there. And if I decide to take some travellor's cheques to exchange at the cambio, may as well go with Canadian currency. Yes/no?

United States
Level Contributor
10,970 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

See the following (the bottom part applies to Canadians):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c140152/Jamai…

Take your ScotiaBank debit card for the best deal.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

No point buying US or Jamaican at home. Take Canadian cash, Canadian traveller's cheques or withdraw Jamaican funds at an ATM...I do a little of each.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

Thanks - Albertagirl, I know we "talked" about this before, but, does anyplace accept CAD in Jamaica?...other than, last time, our transfer driver accepted CAD

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

We have used Canadian dollars at several places.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
337 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

We stayed at a non all-inclusive for 6 days so spent $$ on food, drinks and gifts. When we went on our trip the USA $ and Canadian $ were at par. We took only USA $'s and converted some USA $ to Jamaican $$ and while we saved a little bit of money in certain transactions, I don't think it was necessary based on the savings realized and wouldn't do it again. We cashed our US traveller's cheques at the Scotiabank in Negril with no problem and the exchange rate was very reasonable. This worked for us.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,878 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

Best value is waiting until you are in Jamaica, then withdrawing local currency from an ATM machine. The answer's the same for both Americans or Canadians. suze

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

there was another thread that quite succintly explained the J vs. US or CAD conversions. still greek to me though.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

Not to preach, especially about money and finances, but I remember reading a thread about how it is actually better for a local economy to use local coin.

For instance, if you were going to England, would you convert your dollars to pounds? If you were going to Italy would you convert to the Euro? Japan the yen? Why would not convert to JAD?

Conception Bay...
Level Contributor
292 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

Hello genuine-melody,

We always buy a mixture of JD & US$ before we leave. We start out with $35,000 JD and $450US (nothing larger than $20) ea. and that last's us the first 2 1/2 weeks, and then we start drawing out of our Scotia bank act. (no fees) that way we aren't wasting all the time standing in line to exchange.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadians convert to JMD or USD, or both?

I always use Jamaican and have never attempted to spend Canadian dollars (one time I paid with Canadian, but that was a special arrangement with a friend), you will always pay more (or at best the same) in another currency, so change over those CAN$$$ to Jamaican. I have seen menus in US and Jamaican dollars and always have calculated it is better to pay in Jamaican..plus you are in Jamaica, why not use the local currency??