We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

As you can see from my profile, I am a real person that has been to a couple of places. I understand a hotel's need to do fake reviews especially if they are brand new and trying to generate business. However, I don't understand the need to continue with the fake reviews in order to rebut negative comments left.

Specifically, I'm talking about Sandy Haven. I just read the response to my review of the hotel and was curious to see what others have since posted. The latest review (from someone in Miami) is very concerning. If you read the review you will see how it starts off trying to convince the reader that they are well traveled as if trying to justify their expertise on travelling. In this particular review, this poster appears to be defending the comments I left as well as others i.e. small breakfast, price of food, room amenities, luxury. It does not read like a review but more of an argument on why negative reviews of the hotel are untrue. He even mentions that all the amenities listed on the website were in the room. I was the only person to comment on the amenities difference from the website description versus what i received.

The funny thing to me is if he is a real person that stayed there, why did he take the time to review just Sandy Haven if he has stayed all around the world and has traveled to Jamaica for the last 30 years? Why now? Why this hotel? Why would this so-called jetsetter take his time to review this one hotel in all his travelling experience? I got to think there is something else behind this review. You can't come on TA and tell people that you have been everywhere in the world but only decided to write one review on this small hotel in Jamaica (and you stayed in celebrity hotels and such) . . . . I smell yet another fake review.

I wish Sandy Haven and all other hotels would just let the market speak and improve the experience based on these reviews instead of trying to discount others.

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

Your right on the mark with that being a crapola response from Sandy Haven.

No question about it!

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

I posted before about the reviews at Sandy Haven not passing my "smell test".

Too many 1 post posters....

Fort Washington...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

I agree. It is a little strange. It really doesn't make sense; to choose a small, boutique hotel to formally write a review on TA. In my SH review, i gave a slight nod to how the features mentioned on the site doesn't match the deluxe rooms (but only the ocean front rooms, which the commenter from Miami stayed in). Most of the SH reviews have a lot of 1 post/reviewers so you know something is "fishy".

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

I don't really find most of the Sandy Haven reviews believable for exactly the reasons stated. They don't fool some people, especially regular posters, but at the same time if someone is just glancing through reviews and reads Sandy Haven's they would be left with an impression that might or might not be true...

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
636 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

Erishp- I find it very interesting how that review specifically addressed everyone of your concerns! It's too bad this type of thing takes place as some new, unaware posters will read these fake reviews as being true and will depart with their hard earned money!

Maryland
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

@ All:

I completely agree. I've been on TA for quite some time and I don't remember fake reviews being this prevalent.

@Sasksunlover, Yes. thats why I had to comment on the forum about this. It was way too fake and scripted. It reads like a rebuttal instead of a review. In fact, the way the review is written gives off the same vibe I got from Stephen the owner, very pretentious and "know it all." It really is a shame that they have resorted to these tactics to generate business. If they would just have standard policies and make the hotel match their website, it would be great.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

There is a simple solution. Report it. Once aware of the issue the TA moderators will remove it.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

I sent Allen a question via the link on the review.....you think he will answer?

Hey Allen...aka Steven.....does your Chain de Rotisserie tell you all to serve 1/2 of a burger on a bun and charge for an entire burger?

It really is SHAMEFUL for the owners to try to rebut a truthful review! You are not fooling anyone. Why don't you just work on having good customer service? It will WORK!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

OK everyone....here is Allen's response.......he says he is a real person........

{Some people just don't get it, i am real and you can find me on my website at www.allenXXXXX.com, I am an entertainment attorney and everything in my post is true. Didn't anyone ever tell you that anytime you order something in a restaurant that's not to your taste you can send it back? That is restaurant 101 you have no one to blame but yourself for your lack of sophistication and I find your allegations hard to believe after the wonderful experience my wife and I had.}

I XXXXXXX out his .com address since it is against TA policy to post. IF anyone is interested.....ya know what to do.....

Edited: 07 August 2012, 20:20
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On the issue of Fake Hotel Reviews. . . .

"you have no one to blame but yourself for your lack of sophistication"?

I reported the review as written by the owner. This guy is a piece of work.