We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

NJ
Level Contributor
102 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

Are there any other beaches in Jamaica as calm and swimable as the beaches in Negril?

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

Short answer is NO. Negril beaches are the best in Jamaica for gently sloping entrance, clarity and calm water.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

Duncans Bay might be. Although, not as calm, it has powdery white sand and similar clear water.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
832 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

Negril definitely has the nicest beach in Jamaica. I also enjoyed a few small beaches in the Port Antonio area - Frenchman's Cove, Winnifred Beach and San San. When I was there last June they were very calm and clear. Bluefields Beach, a public beach in Bluefields Bay, also had nice swimming. However, I think it has potential for rough water. Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay is small and can get busy but has nice swimming and good snorkeling close to shore.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Frenchman's Cove
Frenchman's Cove
796 Reviews
Jamaica
Doctor's Cave Beach
Doctor's Cave Beach
1,958 Reviews
Jamaica
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

Yes there are. Most are calm but on some days (like Negril) can have waves: Duncans Bay, Frenchmans, San San, Boston, Winnifred, Falmouth near old Starfish, Doctor's Cave, Great Bay, Calabash Bay, the Errol Flynn marina beach (it drops off to deep water sooner), the beach in Runaway Bay by old BRB and Flavours, and probably others I haven't personally been to. Most popular beaches in Jamaica are calm and clear and swimmable, a few are popular BECAUSE they have waves (Long Bay in Porty, Boston at certain times, some south coast beaches).

None of them have tons of vendors and bars and restaurants and jetskis and and hotels like Negril though, if you like that.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Falmouth
Falmouth
Jamaica
Doctor's Cave Beach
Doctor's Cave Beach
1,958 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

lscnj, we absolutely love the beach at Sandals Whitehouse and beyond...defintely not as long as Long Bay, but fab nonetheless - great walking beach, nice sand, calm waters usually (again depending on weather/tides,etc), very swimmable (even if there is sea grass fronting the Italian Village section of beach), no vendors. Offshore reef really protects the beach.

At end April/beg May when we were there last, the French Village beach, which we think is the best section, was quite shallow, so you had to walk out a ways before being able to 'dunk'.

Mentioned in this post
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
7,542 Reviews
Jamaica
NJ
Level Contributor
102 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I love the beach in Negril but sometimes wish for a little less foot traffic. Treasure Beach or Duncans Bay may be worth exploring.

Mentioned in this post
Treasure Beach
Treasure Beach
98 Reviews
Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

lscnj

Have to agree with ohliz very good suggestions. However my fav is Negril Long Bay IF you are looking in the main tourist areas. For several years I have been going at least once a year. Last year did a splt between Negril and Whitehouse and have done this before. I love the activity, interaction with local venders and people watching on 7 Mile Beach. Beach is fab nice sandy bottom and gradual descent and very clear. Whitehouse very relaxing, no venders and lots of frontage but for me enjoy spending time in the sea overall much more in Negril.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
New Jersey
Level Contributor
319 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

We love the beach. Been many places and once we stayed in Negril, in the end, for our winter get away we just gravitate to Jamaica. We have been to Negril three times, stayed at a resort in Ocho Rios, rented a villa in Duncans and did an over night at a resort in Montego Bay. We did not want to just go to one place so we tried to move around some. No desire to return to Montego Bay, except when our flight gets us to Negril too late, stay close to airport, taxi early and start the day by 11 in Negril the next day. No desire to return to Ocho Rios, big resorts, tall buildings and coves, not our thing. Smaller bays, heck, even bigger bays, well, I like open. We loved the villa life and the excellent deal at Silver Sands but found the north coast to be windy, water rough and coral hard to avoid. Might try it again with a group in the summer months someday. We would like to give the south coast a try, but I guess we enjoy the "action" on the beach in Negril. Love the look of Porty, but most of the places that interest me are too pricey. The beach at Whitehouse looks good but after one trip to Sandles I would never spend time at that brand again. Too hokey for me. Though we travel in Jan or Feb we have never had waves in Negril. Don't mind waves. For us, we just like that there are no tall buildings, food is great and cheap, water clear and warm, sand soft, trees lining the beach, man I wish I were there right now......

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
9. Re: Any other beaches in Jamaica as nice as Long Bay in Negril?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:15