We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronao
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

Hi Guys,

We are planning to visit Jamaica in the middle of September. Initially we were just gonna do one of thee AI's in Mo Bay.

However, upon further research to me it looks like Negril is the place to go, especially since we love quality of the water there. So we have decided to split the trip whereby we would stay 4 days in Negril and 6 days in Hilton Rose Hall in Mo Bay.

I would like to stay in one the cliff resorts such as Catcha, Idle a while, etc. But most of them seem to be adults only, and I can understand why.

Can you suggest a place in Negril on the cliffs, which allows a 6 year old kid.

Thanks

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

The cliffs can be rather unsafe for kids, not to mention the roads that run through the cliffs - why not stay on the beach? Idle A While is on the beach and as far as I know they allow kids.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

Most resorts on the cliffs consider children a liability as there are many areas with no railings and a steep drop 20 or more feet down to the rocks and sea below. It would not be relaxing for you or anyone else running after your child constantly trying to prevent a horrible accident. Also, adults prefer the cliffs as a peaceful retreat from the chaos that comes with children running about, splashing in the pools, screaming, wining and making a mess. Not directed at your child in particular just in general.

I have a 13 year old who is very mature for her age and consider her well behaved and a good listener. She has been an excellent swimmer for years. I have stayed on the cliffs and still would not stay at a cliff resort with her for safety concerns and out of the same consideration I expect when I want a kids free relaxing, do what I want holiday on the cliffs.

No offense or disrespect, just sayin . . .

South Florida...
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

Tensing pen.

Alexandria Bay
Level Contributor
550 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

Beaches Negril but it is expensive.

Alexandria Bay
Level Contributor
550 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

Beaches Negril is not on the cliffs but it would be ideal for a kid that age. They have babysitting there and you and your partner can go to Ivans and other places for adult fun.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

kitakuni

Excellent recommendation. Beaches Negril is perfect I have been taking my daughter there since she was 2 and she loves the kids club now the supervised teen activities. The staff there are so caring, fun and helpful. Beaches has the best kids club in the Caribbean IME and IMO.

Your rt transfers from the MBJ airport are included so just get back to the airport when you check out of your MBJ resort and you will have transportation included to Beaches Negril.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
948 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

I have 3 kids... and I would not consider taking any of them to the cliffs to stay. They have snorkeled in Barbados and St Kitts, but i just wouldn't take them to the Negril Cliffs. I think the cliffs area can be unpredictable for water conditions. I would worry they would fall into the water from up high. You would be constantly worrying. Vacation is about relaxing. Plus, I think it might be confining for a 6 year old. What 6 year old doesn't want to dig in the sand and run and splash in the water? With the water in Negril being so calm and the sand being so soft it is ideal for young children. I would definitely consider other options!

Go without your child to the cliffs on an adult trip!

St Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
512 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

easy answer......SeaStar Inn!

Cool Runnings, Marko

HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~Bourbon Beach 12

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,202 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

If you want to be right on the sea SamSara and I believe Xtabi will allow your 6 year old to stay.

As far as safety - that's up to you as a parent as to how you'll watch and prepare your child. A 6 year old is old enough to listen to Mom and Dad and not go running amok along the sea wall's edge. My godson has been coming to Jamaica since he was a toddler and never stayed on the beach. He loves the cliffs, has respect for the sea and always has. He's 30 now and owns his own place on the cliffs.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril Hotel on the Cliffs with a 6 year old kid??

The west end is for adults. The beach is for kids. Period.