We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digicel Cell Phone

EAST HAMPTON...
9 posts
Save Topic
Digicel Cell Phone

I have 2 cell Phones that I maintain for my cousin and myself whenever we go to jamaica. I just realized the credit and sim card will expire before we return. I just want to keep the sim active so If anyone wants to use it for their trip just let me know. I'll just add whatever value you want so I can extend the sim's life

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

Bump...just to keep this up in case someone is interested.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

Does the phone connect to Digicel via a local provider while you're at home? If so top up by the minimum amount online and it will stay live....and you get J$100 bonus first top up each month

http://www.digiceljamaica.com/en/

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

Jamrock....you can top up online and keep your credit and SIM card active. We do it every 2 months and have had no problems with our phones when we arrive back in JA!!!

https:/…

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

Different but related question:

If you let a SIM card expire, can it be reinstated by just adding some fresh credits, or is it dead forever?

Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

Your SIM card will deactivate 90 days after your credit expires.

Once the SIM deactivates your phone number is gone.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

I have someone in Jamaica Top Up my Digicel for me during the year so it's active as soon as I arrive. The Digicel Cust Svc people are very helpful, If you send an email you will get a response within 1 day or less.

They can check your account and tell you if it's active and how long you have before you need to Top Up again..

CustomerCare@digicelgroup.com

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

You can top up online with a credit card here:

http://www.digiceljamaica.com/

Here's the customer service phone number

Customer Care (All Int'l Calls) - 1 876 380 7626

I called on Monday morning using SKYPE and I spoke to a representative within two minutes.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

My routine is to get a new SIM card every time I return. They are cheap and I get all my phone business done at the same time - long distance package, local minutes, etc. I then email those worthy of my Jamaican phone number.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

Unless you are using the phone while you're not in Jamaica, wouldn't it be cheaper just to get a new SIM once you arrive? Other than not losing the phone number, is there any advantage to continuously topping up?

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Digicel Cell Phone

"Once the SIM deactivates your phone number is gone."

captain, I believe if you produce the paperwork you got when you originally bought the expired sim card, they will renew your old number for you. Pretty sure there would be a time limit on it though....because after a certain amount of time your number might be given to a different sim!!! Hope this makes sense.