We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public beach next to beaches

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
68 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Public beach next to beaches

Hi

we will be staying at Beaches in January, and we have some friends visiting us, The price for a day at Beaches is way too high to have them join us, we were wondering if there is a public beach next to or nearby, so that we can enjoy the beach together and have dinner and drinks at Rick's maybe?

Thanks

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public beach next to beaches

I think that it is a good idea to do the public beach together. The public beach, Long Bay is less then 1 minute from Beaches. You will also have Cosmos, which is right next to Beaches, if you want to do lunch together. Here is a map of the area, and you will see Cosmos next to Beaches and then the Long Bay public Beach. No chairs on the beach, and it is usually pretty deserted, Who knows, maybe if you promise to bring them back, security will allow you to drag some chairs over to the public beach because it is close enough to do that.

wikimapia.org/…20negril

Also, Ricks would be fun ( just pricey). Also, you may want to consider everyone going out to dinner together on the Cliffs. Some of the restaurants will provide you with complimentary transportation to their restaurant.

Where are your friends staying ? If they are staying at a non AI resort, the resort may allow all of you to hang out together on their beach, if you buy drinks and food while you are there.

Enjoy.

Montreal
Level Contributor
68 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public beach next to beaches

Thank you they are actually coming in from Montego Bay for the day because they want to see the negril beaches and ricks I love the idea of having them come right next to the resort, at least I can have some drinks this way lol

Edited: 12 November 2012, 21:54
Maritimes
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public beach next to beaches

Grab a RED plate taxi together and get dropped off at Margaritaville. Grab a beer ( Red Stripe) and walk the beach..only way to really see the beach is to walk it. Hop in another taxi and head to Ricks for sunset.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
307 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public beach next to beaches

LadyJaneMarit....speaks the truth....sounds like a plan to really have a great day on the beach in Negril while there on a day visit.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,126 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public beach next to beaches

Actually it's a nice walk up the each from Beaches to Margaritaville.... We walked from CSa, which is right next door to Beaches and it only took about 10 minutes... no need for a cab:)

Edited: 13 November 2012, 13:55
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Public beach next to beaches

If you don't have an issue with an Americanized version of a Caribbean bar along with overpriced drinks then Margaritaville is a perfect choice. If you want to experience something more authentically Jamaican then I 2nd the recommendation for Cosmos.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public beach next to beaches

agree with Blues Pirate as to lack of appeal of Margaritaville, plus in my experience am hassled with "sellers" in front of that place just walking by more than any other place in Negril. Really noticed this on last few trips.

Would start at Cosmos and walk from there, lost of bars to hit down the beach and once you are done walking can cab it up to the cliffs for dinner.

I feel the same about Rick's as Margaritaville as to lack of appeal,respect not everyone does...but would highly recommend a place like LTU, Ivan's at Catcha, Xtabi or even Pushcart at Rockhouse for dinner/drinks/sunset watching over Rick's. True, if you call these places they likely all offer pick up.

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Public beach next to beaches

I loved Margaritaville. I didnt find it americanized at all! It is a fun place to hang out with great music, delicious food and cold drinks. The onion rings are the best in negril!! Go and Enjoy!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,727 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public beach next to beaches

I'll chime in with a "not so great" opinion about Margaritaville's food and touristy-ness, but it does have a pretty big beach with activities and would provide facilities to make your day together easy and fun. If you don't mind the music and party atmosphere (vs a quieter beach experience) then it could be a very good choice. (I stayed next door to Margaritaville.)

Agree that it's a nice and reasonable walk down the beach for you. It's also a fun walk in either direction to do a bit of exploring with your friends, vs staying put.

I haven't been to Cosmos, so can't compare.

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public beach next to beaches

Lol. I always get a chuckle when posters talk about *touristy-ness*.........When we are all tourists.....Lol....