We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
central new york
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

Couple of quick questions- I want to change my US dollars for jamaican dollars. Staying at Csa. I've heard they can do it there. I don't mind paying a slightly higher exchange rate. I just don't wanna get robbed and I'd like to accomplish this with the least hassle. Also, last trip I had some of those amazing shrimp ( crawfish) sold near Black River on the road in bags. Probably my favorite meal of that trip. Can I find them in Negril? Where?

Thanks for the advice. Heading out in late January.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

Kuyaba has those mountain pepper shrimp. Quite good too.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

It's easy to exchage currency at CSA, just go up the stairs above the lobby. It's only open from like 8:30am to 3:30pm though. :O)

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

There are also a few bank machines in Negril where you can withdraw Jamaican funds.

Pushcart restaurant (run by and next to Rockhouse hotel in the cliffs) has some pretty good pepper shrimp.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

"It's easy to exchage currency at CSA, just go up the stairs above the lobby. It's only open from like 8:30am to 3:30pm though. :O)"

Is this an ATM machine or actual exchange desk? Thks!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,025 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

We usually find that the exchange rate at Hedo is ~5% more expensive than going to a local cambio. Would guess that CSA is similar. Just check the official exchange rate the day before you leave. Then you can ask what rate they give (if it's not posted already), and can decide on the fly.

Pepper shrimp aren't common in Negril. Great to hear that Kuyaba & Pushcart have 'em. We loved the ones we got years ago in Middle Quarters!

United States
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

For your money question see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

IS there a ATM at CSA? I dont recall seeing one there? If so, what bank is it and does it dispense Jamaican or US dollars?

Any confirmation on what the exchange difference is at CSA for US to JA dollars?

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

You'll get hit hard on the exchange at CSA - go to a Cambio with a driver from CSA. You won't get robbed, just don't flash cash and go directly back to the hotel when you are done.

If you want Pepper Shrimp, and I'm talking REAL Pepper Shrimp plan an excursion to the South Coast - perhaps to Pelican Bar or Black River or both - and on the way there or on the way back make a stop in Middle Quarters at a place called Auntie & UJ's - the best darn thing on the planet, their shrimp!!!! You won't regret it!

9. Re: Shrimps, jamaican dollars etc...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 07:16