We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

Our trip report is coming - promise. We stayed at Catcha Falling Star and after the first 3 days we were desperate for our own driver so we didn't have to go through constant negotiations every time we wanted to go somewhere. Mike Campbell was who we found through Pinky at Catcha Falling Star. He was incredible. He MADE our trip to Jamaica. I'm not exaggerating - check my trip report later.

Mike was there usually withing 5-10 minutes of when we called him. He was attentive and cautious and thought of things I always forgot - stopping by the cambio for money exchange, stopping for drinks before we got back to Catcha.. I didn't have to remember because Mike did. The security guards or office staf always tried to give me their drivers and I was disappointed enough to remember to insist on Mike. Finally I just hooked up Skype to my phone and called him myself. The internet was available from practically all over Catcha, or I would just get the bar to call him.

Finally, one of the best things about Mike - he is sweet, handsome and completely safe. My husband thought he was his best friend when we left and I had a tiny crush. What more can you ask for? 1 876-471-5547

Edited: 19 December 2012, 23:46
Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
1,070 Reviews
Jamaica
New York
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

Jgrri:

wow sounds sounds like you had alot of fun...how was the hotel..did you go to ivans...how much did your driver charge for travel...

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

Juicy, thanks for the post. Mike picked us up and dropped us off for our dinner at Ivan's and then ran me in to town to pick up cash and change money last year. I lost his card though and was hoping to run into him again this January when we head down. He is a good guy and a goo driver. However he is also not "a red plate" taxi or wasn't when we were down there last January. I will say though that I will still use him and would recomend him to anyone who wants a trustworthy fellow to take him around Negril. Thanks for the number, I am putting him in my phone!

Cheers

W99

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ivan's Bar & Restaurant At Catcha Falling Star Hotel
Ivan's Bar & Restaurant...
2,016 Reviews
Jamaica
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

Mike is willing to negotiate, so I paid him anywhere from $4-$8 each way depending on if we were going to De Bar, Zhang Wang Liquors (the China Man), or past that to the grocery in Roundabout or the beach. Since he was usually willing to stay and wait, or come on in with us we sometimes just negotiated a flat rate for the entire trip - $20 to the cambio, grocery and back. $30 to the boardwalk, hanging out and back with a stop at De Bar for jerk to go. We'd by him beers while there since he was hanging out with us. His company is easy and he was intuitive as to when we wanted a minute alone, although ever watchful and protective he was never intrusive. We finally gave up all other drivers and negotiated a trip to Hopewell where his mother teaches 6th grade. It was a nice trip and we went to Little Bay, and the Blue Hole on the way. Truly a memorable day.

Mentioned in this post
De bar
De bar
197 Reviews
Jamaica
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

Glad to hear he was good for u guys Juicy! He drove us around to and from supper one night and town another afternoon. Rates were reasonable, not intrusive as you said and a good guy too. Not sure if he had got his red plate insurance yet and to many on the forum that is a must, for a good reason too. However, red plate or not I would ride with him again. I tracked him down on Facebook after reading this and sent him a message so we can hook up and we can use his services while in JA in 2 weeks! Glad you had a good trip!!

New York
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

Juicy & Walley

thank you for the information...so a red plate insurance is a plus..

catcha is the place to go..

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

I do hope Mike is now legal...but for those that don't understand what the red plate license means....

To have a red license plate means the driver is licensed & insured to carry paying passengers & is a taxi.

A white plate driver is not a taxi & cannot legally carry paying passengers & if you so happen to be in an accident you will not be insured & would be participating in an illegal criminal activity which you could be charged for...it has happened.

No matter how trustworthy someone may seem....they are already not trustworthy as they are driving you around illegally!

Have a great vacation & be safe!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

You went to Little Bay and Blue Hole on the way to Hopewell? I'm guessing you mean New Hope cause if not, that's a very long trip!

"To many on this forum..." it should be, to everyone a red plate is a MUST before getting in a "taxi". Siimply put if they do not have a red plate, it is not a taxi. I'm sure this guy is great and I hope he is doing what he can to be legal but even for me, a 30 year traveler to Jamaica and part time resident in Negril if the car does not have a red plate I do not hire it. Period.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

Trust your instincts and I believe he is also trustworthy, He is safe and concientious and reasonable. Sometimes Red Plate taxis are not all that great so for me I will always recommend Mike.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

I wonder if this is the same Mike that Catcha had sent to CSA to pick us up for our dinner at Ivan's. he was terrific and I've been kicking myself ever since for not saving his business card. What did he look like? Did he have dreads?

Mentioned in this post
2,016 Reviews
Jamaica
Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
235 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Driver in Negril - Mike Campbell

I checked the phone number that the initial poster posted. It is the same Mike that drove us to Ivan's and back from CSA. He was extremely polite, helpful, and cautious. We were sure to ask for his card so when we return next summer we will use him for any excursions we may take. I was not aware of the red plate/white plate, I had assumed that if the restaurant was sending him that it was ok.

Mentioned in this post
2,016 Reviews
Jamaica