We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I did it!

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
I did it!

Hello everyone!

After spending months thinking, and about 2 weeks researching, I finally booked a week at Couples Swept Away in March! It came down to Costa Rica, Tulum Mexico, Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos, and Negril.

This is my first All Inclusive stay, so I am excited about that. I am also turning 30 in March so this is a present to myself I guess! I am usually not the AI type but I figured I would relax a little and give it a try.

I spent a few months in Costa Rica after college, and have recently been to St. Croix and Australia. I like to stay active, and out and about when I am in a tropical area so I was looking for a good combination of great beach, pristine water, excursions (snorkeling,waterfalls, swimming holes, zip line, hobie, kayak, etc) and a decent nightlife. I am always worn out when I return to the states, so a few days a relaxing at the resort sipping on cocktails sounds good for a change!

Anyways, I am very excited, and I will probably have some questions as the trip nears. I have been checking out tons of reviews and comments, so I have a good idea of what to expect.

I can't wait to jump off a Negril cliff!!!

If you have any suggestions, let me know! I usually like finding the "hidden gems" of the destination..

Mentioned in this post
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
5,705 Reviews
Jamaica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I did it!

Suggest you read tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k44284…

if jumping from the cliffs is on your agenda.

Probably do not want to spend your Negril vacation in a MoBay hospital.

You wrote in the first person, using I vs. we. I assume you know that CSA is for couples only.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I did it!

a few suggestions:

Xtabi - a good place in the cliffs that offers cliff jumping and sea access to non hotel guests with food or driink purchase.

http://www.xtabi-negril.com/

Here is a map of the area which will come in helpful

http://www.talkofthetownnegril.com/maps.htm

Route taxis (public, people hop in and out) have red plates and you can take within the beach area or cliffs area for 100 Jamaican per way/route. You can also negotiate a rate to take you from beach to cliffs without having to get out and change routes. You can also hire for a private ride with no other passengers but will likely be at least $10 each way from beach to cliffs.

For excursions check out www.negrilonestop.com/tours_reserve.shtml

for ideas.

It is easy to find drivers in Negril just make sure they are licensed. For 1/2 day and day trips Joe Cool is great:

joecooltaxiandtoursjamaica.com/AboutJoeCool_…

Seastar has a fun Saturday night, they offer pick up and drop off:

seastarinn.com/saturday-night-one-love-regga…

Watching sunset and having dinner in the cliffs is always nice. LTU is a nice spot:

http://www.negril.com/ltu/rest.html

A spot out of Negril but not far:

http://blueholejamaica.ning.com/

Would be happy to help you out with any questions, have spent a lot of time in Negril, feel free to send me a personal message.

Mentioned in this post
Xtabi Resort
Xtabi Resort
492 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Seastar Inn
Seastar Inn
382 Reviews
Jamaica
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I did it!

Congrats on your upcoming trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I did it!

Congrats :) I just did the same. When in march are you going? What type of room?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I did it!

Hedo, I was thinking the same thing.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I did it!

HedoDiveMaster,

This isn't my first rodeo... I've jumped off plenty of cliffs higher than those in Negril.

You mean to tell me "Couples" is a couples only resort!?

(I am going with my long time girlfriend...)

Not to take the link you posted lightly, because I'm sure a bunch of inexperienced jumpers (and drunks) hurt themselves all the time, but I found this funny:

"I would not do it as jumping into water is like jumping onto a concrete sidewalk."

Yeah, if you are jumping off the San Francisco Bay Bridge... at least be accurate when giving safety advice.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude at all, but it was almost like you were hoping to spoil my excitement...

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I did it!

thanks albertagirl!

mike,

I arrive on March 3rd. The ONLY available room during the week I could go was a Garden Verandah. Any other week in March I could have picked any room. I wanted an Ocean room, but I even called the resort and they didn't have anything. I think I got a really good deal on 7 nights for march...

and HedoDiveMaster, I know you were just trying to be helpful..

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I did it!

You are welcome. Have you been to Tulum? We are going there instead of Negril this year...time to try something new.

Figured you were part of a couple..staying at Couples.

Hope you enjoy Negril as much as we do.

Snorkeling is not great in Negril, lots of boats on the beach can take you out to a better spot...Nice thing in Negril you do not have to plan to much in advance, pretty easy to plan on the fly.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I did it!

alberta,

I have not been to Tulum, but it looks beautiful. I've been close (Playa del Carmen).

As far as snorkeling, I love any kind of snorkeling, even when there isn't much around. I plan to head out to the reef a few times, and snorkel around the cliffs. Maybe do a dive one day. I knew coming into this I wouldn't get world class snorkeling in Jamaica.

I've snorkeled all around the Keys, the Great Barrier Reef in Australia (largest), the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef (2nd largest), the Galápagos Islands, Buck Island in the Virgin Islands... I REALLY want to get out to Thailand/Bali/Maldives etc but I don't want to go for anything less than 2 weeks, and I don't have that luxary to take off that much right now..

Snorkeling, regardless of the location, is one of my favorite things to do. I absolutely love it.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Calgary
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I did it!

Same here, been to Playa del Carmen and hubby has been to Cancun (for a wedding) but Tulum looks more our style and hoping a bit like Negril in some ways!

You have been to some amazing places..would also love to go to Thailand/Bali some day...long trip from here and do not like to go anywhere if shots are needed and think they are?

You will see some stuff even just snorkeling around the cliffs, some people complain though as it is not "world class" kind of snorkeling.

Sounds like you and your GF have the right attitude and will enjoy Negril

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Negril
Negril