We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stolen Property

Springfield, OH
Level Contributor
363 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Stolen Property

I just read a review where someone was complaining that their cell phones were stolen at the resort pool. They were upset and acted like it was the resort's fault. I think they wanted the resort to bring in CSI to do DNA testing or something. The resort personnel looked for them (even in the couple's room), but of course didn't find them. They were upset that the resort didn't even offer them a bottle of wine, box of candy, or something.

Really? Getting something stolen is traumatic, but you can't blame the resort. It could have been an employee, or another someone staying at the resort. This can happen ANYWHERE.

Don't take electronics to the beach/pool if you are going to leave them unattended, even for a few minutes. As you are playing on your phones, tablet, etc., others are watching. If someone really wants to steal it, they will take note when you leave them unattended.

When we travel, we lock the phones, tablets, etc., in the safe. We are on vacation and if someone really needs to get in touch with us, they have the resort phone number. We buy books at the thrift shop and leave them at the resort when we leave. We do take an inexpensive camera to the beach/pool with us. If it was stolen I would be mad just because of the photos on it. Now that I have a tablet, I will transfer the photos each day just in case something happens to the camera, then I'll only miss one day of photos.

Just ranting and maybe someone will take note and this will save their articles from being stolen.

Only 8 more days and we will be in Negril. I'm SO READY.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
American Fork, Utah
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stolen Property

It just goes to show that some people turn their brains off when they go on vacation. I'm sure if these people went to a community pool at home they would never leave valuable belongings out in the open where they can be taken, what makes them believe they should do that when they travel?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stolen Property

I'm also amazed at how quick people are to blame it on hotel staff. They know little to nothing about most of the other people staying at the same resort with them, yet they don't mind leaving valuables laying around, but then get upset when they go missing. Also amazing how many times alcohol play a factor in things that go missing.

If people are going to take valuables with them to the pool or beach, or anywhere for that matter, keep an eye on them. There are eyes everywhere...

3. Re: Stolen Property

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 January 2013, 17:35
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stolen Property

Why would anyone take a cell phone to the beach, pool, dinner, or anywhere while on vacation? Turn the dang thing off when you leave, put it in the safe at your resort, and do not turn it on until you get back or have an emergency.

YOU ARE ON VACATION for Pete sake.

Springfield, OH
Level Contributor
363 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stolen Property

I agree 100%, yet everytime we have been on vacation to the Caribbean there are people sitting on the beach talking on their phones. I am SO glad that I am not that addicted to cell phones, computers, etc. I'm even an IT person, but when I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation and the last thing I want to do is look at a computer. It's my relax and de-stress time.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stolen Property

So glad we are also not addicted to cell phones and the internet. In fact it kinda annoys me when people make a huge deal about paying for wifi while on VACATION! Personally as a mother, I could see the point of needing a way to contact your children while away. But other than that, I don't see why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a vacation to sit on their cell phone or browse the internet. But I understand different strokes for different folks.

I also read that review recently and thought to myself why are they acting like the resort did nothing? By their own admission they helped them search their room, probably the pool area and allowed them use of the phone to cancel their cell service and call home. I think that sounds more than adequate customer service for this issue. The resort is only responsible for what they can control such as the in room safes, and lockers and front desk and other places where guests may leave an item for safe keeping. They cannot control what happens when a guest decides to take their personal belongings with them to the pool or beach. The security guards there are ensuring that the resort and guests are safe. They are not there to babysit guests belongings.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stolen Property

Just returned from Negril, and there is a rash of stolen cell phones. Don't leave them unattended for a single moment in Jamaica! Met an expat who said a local just grabbed it out of her hand on the beach and ran.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stolen Property

Good!!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stolen Property

They steal them out of your hand on the street and subway here is DC. If you set it down on a bar or counter in the store, it may disappear quickly. Leaving them unattended on the beach or at the pool is just an invitation for someone to take it.

Alexandria Bay
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Stolen Property

You do not need a cellphone on the beach or really in Jamaica at all....You are on vacation and I do not call home at all, I can wait a week to hear all of the meaningless things that happened while we were gone. We have been to Sandals over 12 times and we have never been a victim of theft. You should not have expected any gift from the hotel, They gave you their sympathy.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean