We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Negril

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Riu Negril

The Wife and I and our 7 year old are going to Riu Negril, can anyone give me a heads up on some things I should know about the resort? How are the rooms situated? We have a oceanfront room.

Hopkinsville, KY
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Negril

We always stay at the Tropical Bay but have spent several days at Riu Negril visiting friends that worked at RTB and moved to CHN when they opened. Riu Negril is a very large resort. The buildings spread out and you could have a long walk to/from the restaurants, lobby and pool. Each building has three floors so I would request a 2nd or 3rd floor room. Be very careful after it rains because EVERYTHING is tiled and gets really slick when it's wet. They have a great "entertainment" crew and will help keep your 7 year old busy. They sometimes have arts and crafts for the kids and organized games to give the parents some free time. Tamika is the best and loves the kids (if you've seen the new Riu ad in some of the travel magazines, Tamika is the gorgeous, leggy thing pictured in one of there ads!) My two sons (and probably my husband) are absolutely crazy about her! Make sure you check out the jerk hut for lunch, some of the best chicken you'll ever have. Also, go to the Riu website and register for a Riu class card. You acquire points for the number of nights and number of people in your room. These points can be exchanged for services during your next stay at any Riu resort. We always book a gardenview room and present our class card at check in and have always been upgraded to an oceanfront jr suite (and they are super nice). Post any other specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Negril

Which resort would you recommend for a couple, early 40's, kids staying home at the end of Janary 2006? Either would be fine with me.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Negril

Thank you for the info JoEllen we will do that. Do you get a card at the resort to fill out to be a class member or will do you have to do it online, I looked at their website and I couldnt find any thing saying you can register online?

Hopkinsville, KY
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Negril

Mrs. Smith, I personally prefer Tropical Bay...maybe just because it's comfortable to me. Alot of the staff at TB went to the new Riu when it opened so the staff there is definately experienced. There doesn't seem to be as many kids at RTB as now the Club Negril has opened. It doesn't really bother me having other kids around even if mine aren't with me. My biggest gripe w/RIU is the number of Europeans that frequent this resort. You will be shocked just how RUDE these people are. When were were the last time, this woman from Madrid got mad at "Jazz-Pa" at the pool bar because he gave her someone else's drink and she proceeded to throw it back at him! Talk about, @*#$^!. I turned around and slapped the crap out of the heifer! Guess she understood what that meant translanted! Regardless of which hotel you choose, you'll have a great time! Just make sure to get outside the "gates" and experience what Jamaica is all about. Also, if you have extra funds, school supplies are appreciated and the maids love little lotion & bath gel sets (nothing expensive). We also take along matchbox cars, stationary, CD's that we burn ourselves and give to the staff and children you meet outside the resort...Talk about making a child smile! Take your own air mattress to float on and insulated mugs so you don't have to make bar runs so often....the leave them when it's time to leave....Last year we signed our mugs and gave them to new guests before leaving and asked them to sign the mugs and pass them along to someone new before they left...three months later our mugs were still there!

Hopkinsville, KY
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Negril

Mrs. Smith, I personally prefer Tropical Bay...maybe just because it's comfortable to me. Alot of the staff at TB went to the new Riu when it opened so the staff there is definately experienced. There doesn't seem to be as many kids at RTB as now the Club Negril has opened. It doesn't really bother me having other kids around even if mine aren't with me. My biggest gripe w/RIU is the number of Europeans that frequent this resort. You will be shocked just how RUDE these people are. When were were the last time, this woman from Madrid got mad at "Jazz-Pa" at the pool bar because he gave her someone else's drink and she proceeded to throw it back at him! Talk about, @*#$^!. I turned around and slapped the crap out of the heifer! Guess she understood what that meant translanted! Regardless of which hotel you choose, you'll have a great time! Just make sure to get outside the "gates" and experience what Jamaica is all about. Also, if you have extra funds, school supplies are appreciated and the maids love little lotion & bath gel sets (nothing expensive). We also take along matchbox cars, stationary, CD's that we burn ourselves and give to the staff and children you meet outside the resort...Talk about making a child smile! Take your own air mattress to float on and insulated mugs so you don't have to make bar runs so often....the leave them when it's time to leave....Last year we signed our mugs and gave them to new guests before leaving and asked them to sign the mugs and pass them along to someone new before they left...three months later our mugs were still there!

Hopkinsville, KY
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Negril

Daytripper, I applied online but it was after our first trip. Try going to www.riu.com, then click on "Riu class", then click on "how to become a member", then you can click on "online riu class application". I think you only have to give the dates that you are going. If you can't do it that way, there are little flyer available at the front desk. Even if you don't do it until after you go, you still get credit for the trip. It took three trips before someone told me and I emailed Riu when I filled out my application and gave them the dates of my previous trips and got credit for all of them. I have accrued enough points that ALL my laundry is clean when I come home and it doesn't cost me a dime. (Just FYI, if dirty laundry is an issue, I have had maids take my laundry home with them and bring it back a day or two later...they can really use the extra money (just don't be open about it...management frowns on that type of thing)...my clothes had never been cleaner or smelled better! If you think about it, I have tried finding a former Tropical Bay employee who moved to the new hotel, his name is Osrine and he came around and stocked our mini-bar....give him a few $'s and he will take care of you! He's a super, super kid....ask him how he liked the Metallica CD....he'll know exactly what you're talking about!

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Negril

Thanks

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Negril

We have been to Riu Negril 4 times last year, 2004. It is a beautiful resort, great food and service. Your oceanfront room will have either two double beds or 1 king bed and the beach will be right in front of you. They also have a beach bar, as well as grill for lunch and snacks. You will need a reservation for Sir Andrew's (they have two seatings nightly, 6:30pm or 9:00pm) and for Shadow's Steakhouse, same dining times. They have watersports for yourself and your child and a child's program. This resort is a great value for the money.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Negril

thanks DogLady

toronto
Level Contributor
787 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Negril

4 times in one year? c'mon.......