We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

Lewisburg, West...
Level Contributor
578 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

We would like to possibly rent for an afternoon to do a little local exploring of some places. We don't want to venture to far away, but feel there are somethings to see within 30-45 minutes or so. Do you this is a safe thing to do? Thank you all!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

Wait until you arrive then make a decision based on what you observe. I used to rent a scooter but after two very close calls would not even think of doing so again.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

If you are an experienced motorcycle rider and OK riding on left side of road I would say go for it.

Once you get out of Negril past the lighthouse traffic is very light and neat places to explore. Traffic won't be a problem but roads can be a bit beaten up.

We also ride around in Negril.

Don't think I would recommend on the main highways though..lack of power/ability to keep up with traffic can be a problem.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

I agree with BP - not sure if you are a first-timer or not but it would be helpful to observe the driving habits of Jamaica before committing to a motor vechicle of any kind.

Negril is so easy to get around without one. I find of the three choices in bikes (scooter, dirt bike, i.e., Yamaha 225 or motorcycle (Honda Shadow)) the motorcycle or dirt bike are the best for going any distance outside of town. The scooters can't keep up with traffic so your destinations will be limited to mostly within Negril itself.

The other factor of course would be the condition of the road. The trip Albertagirl suggests is a great one but some of the road is in very rough shape so a scooter would be out of the question and you would have to be careful on a dirt bike or motorcycle to avoid pot holes the size of a Volkswagon Bus. The south coast road is very rough but the North Coast road is better than some highways in California!

We ride as well, we rented a motorcycle for several weeks during our stay this winter. Aside from getting from Point A to Point B in Negril we took a 5 day trip to the area around Port Antonio which was great fun. But we have been going to Jamaica for decades, hub is an experienced rider and we've been renting motorbikes in Jamaica for many years.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

Rasta,

Are you saying you can also rent dirt bikes and motorcycles? Do you need a motorcycles license (I have one, just wondering)?

Also, do you know the prices for the scooters and (if available) motorcycles?

Finally, what is/are the name(s) of the rental company(s) that you recommend?

THANKS!

Edited: 04 February 2013, 22:26
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

I finished reading your post, and it seems you CAN rent motorcycles...

I would still love to know a good rental company and their prices if you can remember!

Thanks!

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

Honda Shadow's for rent.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 00:00
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

I recommend either Banmark (on the West End) or Prento (on the beach). I'm not quite sure what the regular per day rate is on a motorcycle these days but I'll venture a guess at it being anywhere between $45USD and $60USD per day.

Not sure if you need a motorcycle license to rent one in Jamaica - hub has one too - but I know you'll need a valid drivers license from your country of origin.

Please read my post above regarding first-timers and driving anything in Jamaica. Of course, its only my opinion based on my years of experience watching and listening and of course, riding.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 01:13
United States
Level Contributor
11,804 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

I would hire a Jamican driver with a car to take you around the island if you have not been there before. You hotel can arrange it for you.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

I am an experienced Harley rider and would not even think of renting any kind of bike there. No nice way to say it, but Jamaicans are terrible drivers, have no respect for others on the road, and just flat out dangerous.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 03:18
Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,384 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to Rent Scooter or Motorcycle?

Be confident that you can negotiate potholes big enough to eat what you are riding while managing threeway traffic close enough to touch on each side.