We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

Saint Pauls, North...
3 posts
Save Topic
scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

Sending my son to Jamaica Sandals for honeymoon. They are beginning scuba divers, which Sandals do you suggest? Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,793 Reviews
Jamaica
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
7,542 Reviews
Jamaica
massachusetts
Level Contributor
540 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

they both will give a day certification course, then a 35-40' dive the following day. all in all it wasn't as awesome as i was hoping. but we did enjoy the dive .we saw large turtles a couple of rays about 30'' wide and a fair amount of fishes. either resort has about the same reef life. and both resorts give the cert course. so the ultimate desicion is wich resort do you want to stay at???

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

Kaye B: Are they currently certified divers or looking to get certified at Sandals during their honeymoon? Reason I ask is, often, if there is enough critical mass of experienced certified divers, Sandals will take that group to more challenging dive sites that don't get the usual traffic of resort certified divers. So if that's the case, they will be stuck with whoever the population of experienced certified divers is at SN or SWH. If they were to stay at one of the Sandals Montego Bay properties, since they are so close together, basically the pool of potential certified divers is larger because you are really drawing from three resorts, not one. SN and SWH are just too far away from each other to pool divers on one boat. Just a throught that might influence 'where' you send them? Just research on those properties too though...all the Montego Bay properties are very different from SN and SWH.

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
5,798 Reviews
Jamaica
Cali
Level Contributor
577 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

My husband and I are both divers( I was certified both open and advanced at Sandals Negril) . My husband dove WH and the whole week there the water and vis were bad. We both love diving Negril mainly because of the dive crew they have working there. As your son is a beginner diver, they would pair them up with whomever is also that ability and go off with that divemaster. They're not thrown in with everybody else. The reef is great in Negril as is the visibility ( unless there's been a recent storm). Make sure your son brings his padi card or whatever cert he has. They will also have him do a check out dive in the pool. Plus whenever he does go, make sure he goes to the dive shop as soon as he gets to the resort to sign up for the next days dive as the boat fills up quickly. If he goes to Negril, have him get in touch with Josh or Kemar at the dive shop.

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,793 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

I would not recommend diving in the MoBay waters.

The water environment at Negril and SWH is in much better shape.

The important question is posed above: are they already certified or will they be taking the resort course?

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

Kaye, you refer to them as “beginning scuba divers” If they are currently taking the course – classroom and pool, they will still need to do four open water dives before they are fully certified. Living in Canada and very close to the mountains, the open water dives are done in bodies of water with a large glacier at the other end. Not wanting anything vital to fall off and my wife liking warm places, we did our open water dives at Whitehouse, at a cost. The next week we dove at Sandals Negril.

At WH the water was clear and there was interesting stuff to see.

If they’re already certified, they will have an Open Water certification as Bruzbabe mentioned having been. After taking five specialty courses – a revenue generator for Sandals and other resorts, as well as good learning experiences, they can get their Advanced certification. If they are not Advanced divers, it’s not likely they will be doing anything other than standard dives to site chosen that day by the Dive Master. We’ve never had a problem with those.

Contrary to Bruzbabe’s comment, our checkout dives - 1st one at the resort that trip, have always been 30’-35’ dives, not in the pool. Those, I believe are just the refreshers, which come at a cost. Dives are booked one day for the next. Log books and PADI cards are required, as mentioned.

Negril has a great reef just off shore and if the water is clear, they’ll have an awesome time.

Whitehouse is a much newer and nicer resort, in my opinion, and much less expensive. Younger people like a livelier resort which is Negril. If you book them Negril , consider a beachfront room. The bottom of the rung rooms are right next to the highway, but upgrading comes with a significant cost.

They could split the time between the two resorts and have the best of both worlds.

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,793 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

HedoDiveMaster, we really enjoyed our dive in Mobay.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

Glad to hear that.

Cali
Level Contributor
577 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

Sandals Negril is very much by the book and above- meaning if they haven't dove for a certain time regardless of their certs and log books, they will be put in the pool so they can be checked out by someone on the dive team. They will definitely have to show that they can at least clear their mask in the pool!! And, no, you don't need to pay extra for specialty courses just to become advanced. Yes, you pay extra for the advanced cert and there's some different areas to choose from ( fish ID, deep dives, night dives, etc) but those are included in the advanced cert. But I guess we've gotten off your original subject as to where to go- either place is great for a honeymoon- both different from the other, same concept.!!! I'm sure they'll enjoy either one!!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Saint Pauls, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

Thank You for you help! I think we are going with Negril. They are 24 years old and I think they will enjoy it more. Do you think they would enjoy at this age more than Whitehouse?

Thanks K

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Saint Pauls, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: scuba diving Sandals Negril or Sandals Whitehouse?

They are doing dive cert. now for Honeymoon. ( Just starting)

They are 24 years of age what resort would you suggest?

Thanks K