We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Shoes

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Water Shoes

I am wondering people's advice on wearing water shoes or teva-like sandals when swimming around the cliffs, or in general in Negril.

I really don't like the way full sandals like Teva's look and I prefer the comfort and style of flip flops, but will wear Teva's to protect my feet.

Are there sharp objects swimming around the cliff area? I've seen a lot of rusted looking entry ladders, etc.

I guess I should buy a pair of Teva's and wear them, just to be safe?

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Shoes

Never needed them on long bay, and we swam at the cliffs and water is so deep I never wore them. Did wear them at pelican bar

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Shoes

There are sea urchins along the cliff sides by the access ladders which are the only creatures you need to worry about stepping on. Otherwise bare feet or better yet snorkeling fins. Nothing to worry about on the beach at all. Sport sandals (Tevas), or sneakers are a must when walking the streets though.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Shoes

I'll be the party pooper here...I did step on a sea urchin right off the beach in knee deep water, plain sandy bottom, in the Beaches Negril area of 7 Mile Beach. Yes, I know it's all my fault...and lucky it didn't get infected...but it still hurt, and I had to dig it out. OUCH!

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Shoes

So, you don't recommend walking the streets with Flip Flops?

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Shoes

I am good about looking out for stuff, like urchins, especially in clear water with a sandy bottom. I will definitely go bare foot in from of CSA.

I am just worried about a hidden urchin behind a swim ladder, or something sharp on the bottom, or a jagged edge of a swim ladder... a sliced foot can put a damper on a vacation!

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Shoes

I definitely think water shoes are a must for the cliffs, but not needed for beach.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Shoes

I did a little "shallow water hike" at Half Moon Beach to one of their little off shore islands - tons of urchins. I wore my flip flops and kept my eyes OPEN - the water is so crystal clear there its hard to miss them.

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Shoes

Thanks guys. Ordered a new pair of Teva's just in case.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Shoes

I would get a pair of water shoes..I think Teva's may be a little awkward, bulky and they do not cover your toes (although they do have some with covered toes?)...plus they are a lot cheaper than Teva's and made of the right material for water.

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Shoes

If I wore water shoes, I wouldn't be able to get in any pictures because my friends wouldn't stop giving me a hard time over them. (I'm picturing the old school neon colored water shoes)

With that being said, they do make some cool looking water shoes- some even could be warn as an "all the time outdoor shoe" in tropical climates. I originally wanted a pair. However, ive had many people say they feel SO hot and gross even though they drain well. That would drive me crazy.

So, I'll deal with the open Teva's and watch my step!