We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
184 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

This is our first time considering a non-AI and I really dont want my hubby to be pissed. I am dreaming of this trip. I am leaning towards Treehouse but will have to break it up and pay for everything separtly which makes me nervous. Anyone tips? Advice? this is my third time to JA, 2nd to Negril and I'm dying for 7 mile beach. Bloody Bay was not good enough and Im sick of the big chains! I have a 3 year old, we make our own fun so I dont mind there aren't bells and whistles. Advice? trying to make an informed decision!

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

Lot of great bars and places to eat on either side of Coco plus they have a great beach to stretch out on, good happy hour, really nice breakfast, we keep going back to Coco

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

You may be interested in this thread for comparing the properties:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k59888…

When are you planning to go? Negrilonestop has the best prices for Coco if travelling before mid-December.

A big thing to keep costs down is to make sure you have a fridge in your room. You save a lot on drinks that way and can keep snacks and leftovers. I think all rooms at Coco come with a fridge, for sure the deluxe, superior and jr suites. Only suites and a few kitchenette rooms come with a fridge at Treehouse, but you can rent one for about $5/day. The beach is much larger at Coco.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

Agree with stormy, we have been going to CLP for years and just love everything about it. Plus they have a nice family pool in the tropical garden courtyard, a hidden jacuzzi in the tropical gardens and an adults only beachfront pool, not to mention the wide long stretch of fabulous beach.

Dining options are short walk down the beach, look for happy hour specials. Or just stay in your loungers on the beach and let a cheap delicious lunch come to you. Beach vendors like the fruit lady, Tony the fresh juice guy, Norman the pattie man (vegie are my fav), spicy pork guy, lobster guy (in season) and ice cream guy. Buy a loaf of the best banana bread in the morning from Marley's at Coco for a nice in room snack for your little one (bring zip lock bags from home). Also, pack some snacks and juice boxes from home for your little one so you have them on hand in your room.

genuine melody has recently posted about a good sale on CLP through negrilonestop, depending on your dates, you should check it out.

Enjoy your research and your trip back to 7 Mile!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
184 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

Thanks all!!

Can you tell me if there's a market or some place you can buy snacks for the room? Or are there any Americanized places to eat? While I'll try seafood and new things, my guys are picky eaters and I just fear without the big AI they'll be hungry.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

Mikey's is near CLP but haven't been there in a while. We like Shamrock across from Grand Pineapple and Alfreds, or you could go to HiLo in Negril city center. Shamrock has all we need so that's our place to go if we need something. If your guys are picky about snacks pack a few so you have them to start your vacation.

Many restaurants offer some americanized options, but it is Jamaica so there will be mostly island fusion choices which are great IMO. If you really want americanized there is a Margaritaville on the beach with cheeseburgers, nachos, chicken fingers, etc. We don't frequent the place but did take my daughter there once for lunch many years ago. Truth be told it's a tourist trap, but to each his own.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

Coco serves good burgers and great pizza and there's a couple markets not far to buy drinks, beer and snacks, short taxi ride, you should have no problem finding good food to eat up and down Long Bay

ohio
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

You can walk across the street to "Best in the West" for great jerk, and lobster on the grill. I would vote for Coco.

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

Coco for sure. Treehouse has no beach.

New York City, New...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

My 14 year old daughter grew up over the years visiting the TH every year. We've been going since the 80's. It is local, authentic, good food and clean, comfortable rooms. That said if the American pamper is desired, many of the new spots we've watched be built do in fact cater specifically to that profile. CLP is a very nice spot and we know the owners , visit for desserts (see if they have the grape nut ice cream) enjoy the drinks but much prefer the vibe at TH.

The wonderful thing that hasn't changed on 7 mile is that you can stop and have a drink at any spot (except the AI's) and sample the scene and decide. Much has changed in Negril but fortunately the soul and rhythm of JA is preserved in still a handful of spots. You'll have a wonderful time regardless...Irie

michigan
Level Contributor
853 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Treehouse or CoCoLapalm?

My vote goes for Coco, the beach is large and plenty of trees for shade. We have been taking our daughter to Negril since she was 18 months and stay next door at Idle. We always go to the Hi Lo at the beginning of the trip and stock up on snacks and breakfast stuff, esp for her. She loves Negril.