We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Transfer

Michigan
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Private Transfer

We have booked a package with Funjet Vacations which includes RT transfer to & from RIU Negril. I'm reading about a 2 hour drive from the airport and I'm picturing this big bus waiting around for flights to arrive and stopping at multiple places before we get to our resort.

Wondering if there are any private transfers that could be recommended for 6 of us and approximately what the cost would be. Thank You.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Transfer

You're right about the stops along the way. Depending on the day, there may be more than one flight arriving.

We booked our transfers (which were not included) with "joe cool taxi and tours" - excellent price, no stops along the way, and a red stripe for each of us!

http://www.joecooltaxiandtoursjamaica.com/

Look them up on trip advisor - highly recommended.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Transfer

Depending on when you arrive, it should take much less than 2 hours to get to your resort. It's normally 90 minutes for us, including a bathroom/food stop and dropping others off. The RUIs are smong the first resorts as you arrive in Negril, so others will be waiting for YOU to get off the bus before they are dropped off at their resorts. I've never stayed at an RIU so I don't know if they use big buses or not. we normally have a small hotel shuttle on our trips so it doesn't take long to fill up - as in one flight usually fills it and you don't wait on others.

A private transfer may get you there a few minutes earlier, but it's up to you to determine if it's worth the extra cost.

United States
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Transfer

"I'm reading about a 2 hour drive from the airport"

The drive should be about 1 hr. 15 min. to the RIU Negril. If your hotel was on the south end of Negril and you were the last stop for the bus then 2 hr. is possible.

"I'm picturing this big bus"

In my experience I get a big bus about once out of every ten or twenty trips to/from the airport and Negril. Most of the time I ride in a bus with about 25 seats.

"stopping at multiple places before we get to our resort."

The RIU Negril is the first resort you come to in Negril. Unless the bus stops at a hotel in Montego Bay or at the Grand Palladium (neither of which has ever happened to me) you will get off at the first stop in Negril.

If you want a private transfer see the following for a long list of options

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147313-s301/Negril:J…

Edited: 21 February 2013, 14:45
Michigan
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Transfer

Thanks a lot Vinnie! Sounds like the odds are with us for a hassle free transfer. Thinking maybe we'll "roll the dice" and just stay with prepaid transfer now. We have been to other All Inclusive destinations where you are pretty much guaranteed the experience I've described above and the extra money on a private transfer is money well spent. After reading your post I'm liking our chances for a better experience to Negril. Thanks again.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Transfer

When are you arriving? Are you at the Riu Palace or Club Riu?

NIagara Falls...
Level Contributor
815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Transfer

Stick with your 'free' transfer.

Half the fun is getting there.

The trip to Negril is an eye opener and a very beautiful journey.

You might have tears in your eyes on the way back to the airport.

Michigan
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Transfer

Club RIU Red. March 9th-17th. Priced out a private transfer: $115 for the 6 of us. Now thinking Private Transfer there and use the Funjet transfer back.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Transfer

Kingsley James from Take Care Tours is $108 for 6 people. He comes highly recommended and can stop wherever you want. Cambio to exchange money, beer stops, Bigga's in Green Island for some jerk, bathroom, etc. Everyone has their driver who they like, mine happens to be Kingsley. I would use him for the ride there and than you can decide if you want him for a return.

http://kingsleystakecaretours.com/rates.htm

Michigan
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Transfer

That's funny Layne. I just booked with Kingsley about an hour ago. Shortly after that I received a message from another member recommending somebody else who was about 20% cheaper. I'm not cancelling with Kingsley over a couple of $$$$ though. Seems like a nice man.

Thanks everyone for their replies. After going back & forth we decided for the private transfer at least for getting there. Just in case I guess. Plus if we need to stop for anything along the way it will be easier.

Arlington Heights...
Level Contributor
360 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private Transfer

turnerjamaicataxi@yahoo.com

$180 round trip for 6 people to Riu Negril.

I have taken the private transfer to the resort and the bus back in the past because getting THERE the quickest way was more important than when leaving the resort going home.

However, the only or main benefit of taking the private transfer back is that typically you can leave the resort an hour later than the bus would pick you up. With the bus, they want you to leave the resort in Negril at least 4 hours before your flight.

Gives you a little bit more time the morning of your departure. Not always a big deal, but a little more relaxing. You will have to weigh that against the cost.

I booked with Discountallinclusive.com. Transfers were included. I called them and they gave me credit back for the transfer costs. Believe it or not, the private transfer is costing me a few dollars less.

Enjoy

Edited: 22 February 2013, 18:40