We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping mayfield falls guides

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
tipping mayfield falls guides

What is the norm for tipping the guides at Mayfield falls? Thanks for any info.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,575 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

When we were there last September we tipped the guide US$20. We weren't part of a group though, we had booked a driver from Negril who took us (also went to Roaring River) so there were just my gf and I with the guide.

Have a look at the reviews I have on here - I would certainly recommend going just as a couple instead of being part of a large group.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

The last time there I tipped the guide $20US as well for the same reason, it was just my lady and I with our own guide. He did an outstanding job too and earned it.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 21:02
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

Agree. Just for a couple of people and the guide, I tipped $20.

new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

On that note...we are hiring a private driver- what is acceptable to tip our driver? Thanks for the info..trying to work on the budget for my girl trip with mom...

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
253 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

We also are thinking of hiring a private driver to take us to the Mayfield Falls, and hopefully to visit other tourist attractions the same day. What would be a reasonable price for his services for the day and also, does anyone know the price of admission to Mayfield Falls?.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,575 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

When I was there last September we used a driver called Devon who we found parked up outside the RIU Negril. The first day we used him we just asked him to take us into Negril and pick us up later just to get a feel whether we could trust him. He was very friendly and we decided we would use his services again.

We got him to take us to Roaring River (on his recommendation) and then onto Mayfield Falls and on the way back we stopped at a few local bars just located on the route back trough Savanna-La-Larr, Sheffield & Negril. He was with us all day and it was pretty much a full day (pickup at about 09:30 in the morning and dropped back at RIU about 19:00). He charged us US$70 each for my gf & I although that didn't include entrance to the Falls or caves at Roaring River. That was still way cheaper than booking just Mayfield Falls through our tour operator.

Devon also said he could take us to a few other locations if we wanted - Black River was another place he suggested.

We were so impressed by him that on our second to last day he told us he would take us to a friends of his for lobster lunch up in Green Island. He picked us up from the RIU about lunch and drove to his friends - which was basically a shack by the road which doubled as a local store. His friend went out in a little boat and got a couple of fresh lobster (my gf posed for a pick holding one by its tail) and cooked them for us. We had several bottles of Red Stripe whilst there and Devon only wanted a little money for it. In the end we gave him US$60 for the lobster, several bottles of Red Stripe and taking us there and back and he was absolutely pleased with it. We certainly made a friend in Devon and I would definately recommend him.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

Great story and the cost was appropriate.

new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

Yes that is a great story! We are going to use Rockys tours, It is $75 pp Which does include entrance fees. I like Rocky, I also call him when I need taxi service.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

A few years back we went to Mayfield via taxi. We had a wonderful guide going up the falls that took our picture several times along the way and kept us from touching some stinging ants. It was a very great experience. This young man also jumped from a tree into a SMALL area of the falls without breaking his neck. :) Can't believe what they do to entertain you. Anyways we tipped the young man $20 bucks and I felt it wasn't enough.

ontario
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping mayfield falls guides

We were there in Jan and Feb this year..there is a sign posted at the falls that guides are not allowed to ask for tips.. however we we did tip a few dollars for their help..cost was 14 US i think when we were there last