We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couples Swept Away beach shade

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
7 posts
Save Topic
Couples Swept Away beach shade

Hi all, We are heading to CSA for a week on March 18, The question I have is do we have to get up early and play the towel game to get a good spot on the beach with shade ? Thanks in advance for any help.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

I've been here for the past 5 days, and am still here now. There is PLENTY of shade along the entire stretch of beach. The only reason you would need to play the towel game, is if you want one of the few palapas.

To get a palapa on a busy day, you need to be on the beach before 7am to even have a chance.

If you don't need a palapa, you will find plenty of shade under the numerous palm trees along the beach, or under the shade sails scattered along the beach.

Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

Pura hope you're enjoying your trip :) just got the lions share of packing done only 9 days to go! Luckily I always wake up early on vacation (5:45 am somehow) so I hope to snag some palapas.

Crashbuzz: will be at CSA from 16-23 we should have a drink together! Pm me if you want.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
948 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

We will be at CSA in 3 more sleeps! When we were at CSA last April it was over Easter. It was extremely busy. Honestly you had to have your stuff out before 6 am for a palapa. We are now going during the spring break week which I am sure will be very busy. The longer I was there the less I worried about getting a palapa. Most of the time a nice shady spot under the palm trees can be found prior to 8:30 or so without a problem. If you wait past 9 you will find a spot, but it won't be your ideal location. We also found that we like to lay in the sun and go out in the water in the morning then have shade in the afternoon. A lot of times the better shady spots became available in the afternoon. This time I am not going to worry about getting out before 7 or 8. If spots are taken you can always move down the beach. I like to be close to my room though because I don't like the beach bathroom.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 03:55
New Jersey
Level Contributor
305 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

There is so much shade, anywhere on the beach, who cares about getting up early to get what some would consider a "prime spot". Those folks make the only draw back to the resort. In the end we found a great spot to spend our days, every day. It is a great beach. And there are numerous places to spend the day in the shade of the trees so that the direct sun is not tooo much. It is a long beach, with fabulous palm trees every step of the way. Heck the palapas where over rated and should be reconsidered, get rid of them. Easy solution.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

On our two trips, both resort was completely full, we never had an issue getting what i consider a prime spot - under shaded palm trees in front of sunset bar. I would typically arrive between 915 and 10.

Some days i did have to drag chairs to my spot, or find better condition cushions, but it was no problem mon.

I am knocking on wood, that in 41 days this will be the case...but if not i have no worries that we will find a nice spot.

Akron,Ohio
Level Contributor
518 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

Momo, we were there last Easter as well. We did get a palapa a couple of days, but I missed looking up and seeing the Palm trees, clouds, and blue sky. Yes, you have to move your lounger to follow the sun, but that's a good thing, you're up, go get a cold Red Stripe! Some times I wish the sun would move just a little bit faster!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

I jsut hope that anyone getting up at 6:00 am to save a palapas actually use it. Too many times we towels on chairs and never see a body sitting in them.

I like being under the palms better anyway, I find the palapas to get a little stuff.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 16:44
Akron,Ohio
Level Contributor
518 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

Hey Blondie, not to be weird, but what kind of "stuff" do you find under the palapas?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

LOL, meant a little stuffy, that is what comes of trying to type here on the board and answer a call at work. Guess I shoudl stay away from multi tasking.....lol

lew
houston, texas
Level Contributor
826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couples Swept Away beach shade

JUst read a review for CSA where the person stated they had one in their group get up every day at 6am to save 10 chairs and a palapa. Wow.