We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaunt to Treasure Beach

Hayward, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jaunt to Treasure Beach

We would like to go to Treasure Beach while staying in Negril. We were thinking to take public transportation (we understand what it may be crowded, slow), maybe stopping at the Black River on the way there or back. Does it sound feasible to do that with the idea of spending the night in Treasure Beach? Is it easy to catch public transportation going both ways every day?

Dudley's Big Ship Taxi and Tours
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Rocky's Taxi and Tour Services
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Joe Cool Taxi & Tours Jamaica
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Swim with Dolphins, Factory Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Luxurious Carib Tours and Taxi Jamaica
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Calgary
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jaunt to Treasure Beach

I believe you would have to take 3 route taxis to get to Treasure Beach, not sure how long it will take but direct is about 2 or 2-1/2 hrs so would assume a fairly lengthy amount of time to get there.

I think it is feasible/easy, just won't provide much time in Treasure Beach. Have you considered staying for a few nights?

I think you go Negril - Sav/Sav - Black River and Black River to TB for route taxi.

Enjoy, Treasure Beach is great!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jaunt to Treasure Beach

Have you taken "public" transportation in Jamaica before? If not, I'd hire a private car. Grabbing a taxi in the car parks in Sav and Black River are not for the faint of heart.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jaunt to Treasure Beach

We've been (by taxi) years ago, and my somewhat uniformed take is that it would certainly NOT be "easy". Probably would require a taxi from Negril to Sav, then maybe another 1-2 to Black River, then another to TB?? Personally, I'd take a private cab.

Some old info for reference:

webtonic.info/discus/…

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,292 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jaunt to Treasure Beach

You'll spend a lot of time in cars that way. I'd do it if you had a few days in TB but for a day trip it seems like a day trip of taxis more than to TB.

Possible compromise - South Coast Express bus to Santa Cruz: timeinjamaica.com/south_coast_express_jamaica then take a taxi down to TB (about a half hour). You go a little out of the way but it's a comfy reasonably fast ride. You'd have to leave very early, bus is at 4:45AM and gets into SC at 7AM.

A private taxi is going to be easiest and most flexible though. This is the rate for the opposite, TB to Negril for a day, I'd think rates in reverse would be similar: treasuretoursjamaica.com/montage.cfm…

Canada
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jaunt to Treasure Beach

I concur with the advice above. I haven't done it myself but the past 2 years we've had a friend come to visit us in TB from Sav-la-Mar for an overnight stay. He is Jamaican and travelled by route taxis. Based on talking with him I wouldn't recommend it. We gave him the fare for a private taxi to Black River and he took a route-taxi from there to help ease the return trip for him. Like Liz said, if I had the time and patience to enjoy it I might be tempted but not for just an overnight trip. (BTW, consider 2 nights in TB :))

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,292 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jaunt to Treasure Beach

I don't know your comfort level with driving in Jamaica, but if you are good with it, that's a fairly inexpensive way to go, just a 2 day car rental in Negril.

http://vernonscarrental.com/

islandcruiserjamaica.com/html/rates___specia…

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jaunt to Treasure Beach

What ever way you travel...plan to stay overnight in the least and two days even better to enjoy this v ery special area !!

You will not regret it.............

http://ponderock.com/english/ponderock_e.htm

8. Re: Jaunt to Treasure Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 04:17