We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of the best

Clayton, North...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best of the best

Well we are now 7 weeks out of visiting Jamaica for the first time. We will be staying at Catcha Faiiling Star for 7 days. After raising 3 girls and looking at retirement in the next few years we are really looking to spending some great time together. My wife keeps on asking me why I am doing so much research on our trip but I tell her our time has finally come. So... I am trying to get the most for our time. My question is this, the three foods we are wanting to try the most are 1. Jerk Chicken 2. Jamaican breakfast of Akee and Salt fish and 3. Your suggestions of must eats. Where do we find the best of each. Thanks and I will quit asking so many questions soon...because we will be there

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of the best

Jerk Chicken >>>>> Best in the West ::::::: Bourbon Beach.

Ackee and saltfish >>>>> tried it one time....hated it, so cant help you there.

Must Eats >>>>>> LTU Pub....best grliled lobster on the island. ::::::: Kuyaba....the seafood linguini is awesome....and their coconut pie is delicious.

Alfreds for fish n chips :::::::Sharks across from Catcha for pan fried snapper:::::: Hungry Lion >>>>everything good!!

Ciao Jamaica:::::: Delicious!!! >>>>> Swordfish Grill>>>lobster mac n cheese!!

Ivan's:::: ::::;;everything is yummy!!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,969 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of the best

Fred, enjoy trip #1!. There are literally 100s of posts that answer these questions. Jerk chicken is everywhere... and good at most. Akee & salfish is superb IMHO. I've only had it at H2, but I bet Catcha does it nicely, assuming they do full breakfasts these days.

For #3 must-eats.... it depends on your likes. If you want fancy, I'd say the seafood pasta at Kuyaba. Informal might be the conch burger at Xtabi, or the jerk snapper sandwich @ the LTU. My top pick however would prolly be the brown stew beef at Sips and Bites..... fall apart tender, authentic & mighty tasty. :)

Clayton, North...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of the best

Great! We love to try different things and I love " Hole in the walls" as we'll as the more upscale options.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of the best

Jerk chicken = Eddie's De Bar (near Rockhouse)

Ackee and Saltfish/Jamaican breakfast = Sips and Bites (near Rockhouse...closed after 5:30 PM Friday and all day Saturday)

Must eats = leave Catcha and take a left...60 yards or so down the road, on the right is Ahhhbee's where you'll find the best burgers in town!!! Or..take as right out of Catcha and on the left about 75 yards is T'Bird's,,,they sell wonderful conch soup. It's right before you get to Rick's!!

Edited: 16 March 2013, 14:26
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of the best

Cosmo's, on the north end of Long Bay, serves authentic Jamaican at reasonable prices, feet-in-the-sand style. The catch of the day is always worth it, and the pea soup should not be missed (Jamaican peas are actually small red beans). They also have great ackee and saltfish (I am told....tried it a few times years ago....not a big fan).

I love Best of the West jerk - at least twice a visit - but theirs is more of a BBQ sauce type. You'll find there are many different ways to jerk chicken (or pork, goat, etc), so be sure to try a few. And to add to the chorus, the Seafood linguini al fredo at Kuyaba is perhaps the best dish in Negril.

Edited: 16 March 2013, 14:56
Selinsgrove...
Level Contributor
323 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best of the best

1. Jerk Chicken = Eddies De Bar

2. Jamaican breakfast of Akee and Salt fish = Just Natural

3. I recommend you go to Sharks for her Snapper Escovitch

You can walk to all these places from Catcha as long as your in decent shape and a bit adventurous.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best of the best

agree with all ti2m's recommendations, Just Natural is a must!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/267890711393/#!/groups/267890711393/members/

san antonio
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best of the best

Eddie's or 3 Dives for jerk chicken. I personally don't like Best in the West. Even better is Bigga's in Green Island, hit it on your way in or out of Negril.

new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best of the best

While we r on the subject on the best.. Who has the best beef patties?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best of the best

What eyedoc said. Have your driver stop at Bigga's in Green Island. Sauce is hot hot hot, so grab a few extra beers and tread lightly.

Once in town hit up Eddie's Debar. It will be on your left hand side as you are driving down the West End Rd towards Catcha.