We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Couples getting rundown?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
989 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Is Couples getting rundown?

I've seen several recent reviews for both CN and CSA that say the rooms are really rundown and the resorts are showing their age. When we were at CSA we were in the older section and the rooms were showing their age especially in the bathrooms, I'm just wondering has it gotten worse? Are the rooms rundown at CN? couples did respond and said that they are so spidering refurbishment of the rooms. I'm just wondering what people's experience has been, I know TA reports aren't always accurate.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

I can only comment on the rooms I have stayed in the last few years, and I have had no problem at all. I always stay in the Atrium rooms, and I have been very happy. The room I stayed in last year had been completely redone shortly before our stay ( we go in the off season). I am not sure if that building had been redone because there had been an issue, but everything in the room was crisp and new, could not even think of any improvements that could have been made.

Our last room and the atriums we have stayed in the past were not as " new feeling" as the room I described, but I never felt they were run down in any way. Bathrooms in the atrium rooms have been redone over the last few years, when they added mini bars to these rooms, and I find them more then adequate and have no complaints. The shower is very large and has newer tiles, sink has been replaced the last few years, and I feel for me there was no room for improvement.

Again, I can only comment on the rooms I have stayed in, and cannot comment on other room styles. I have toured the Greathouse rooms, and I did not feel they felt run down at all.

Obviously , there are some rooms at CSA that need more " refreshing" then others, and some rooms are better then others . What I find is odd is people will come on TA complaining about their room, but never took the time to complain at the resort and ask for a new room. Couples will do whatever it takes to make your stay enjoyable, and if you truly do not like your room, they will switch your room, and go above and beyond to make you happy.

I have never read a review that has said " my room stunk, and I complained , and they refused to move me !" . Instead, a person may have needed to wait a day or at the most 2 days for a move, and the majority of people have been happy with their new room.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

Meeko,

Our BFVS on our recent trip was in fine shape in the bedroom and the balcony. I think they can use an update, but it was in absolutely fine condition. The bathrooms in the BFVSs leave a lot to be desired. It was not enough to make us move rooms, but they need remodeling. We choose to overlook this because there is so much we love about CSA. The bathroom doesnt detract from our overall experience. Not every guest will feel this way. Couples is well aware of this issue, I believe, and is choosing to spend its money elsewhere (Couples Barbados, perhaps). It seems they will let this go as long as they can push it. It's been a few years now that they refurbished the original section bathrooms and haven't touched the ones on the newer side.For those who haven't been, it's truly not a big deal to us. The bathroom is functional (though not perfect in this dept either). It just doesn't look nice or special.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

meeko

Most recent stay this past July (we go every July for 7nts) at CSA in a BFVS and ditto what ReviewerMaryland said. We just love everyrhing about CSA so we dismiss the outdated bathrooms, can't keep us away!

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

They definitely are NOT "run down". Could they use a sprucing? Yes.

The bathrooms is the original section has been updated with walk-in showers and raised bowl sinks.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
454 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

My thoughts on our garden view room at CN:

Room itself was fine- no glitz, but bed very comfortable, everything worked, loved the new AC with remote control. Also loved the IPOD docking station, the fact that the ice bucket was filled constantly and we got towel art/flowers. Kept very clean by housekeeping (I'm a sand magnet!).

Bathroom- damaged tile, drain on bathtub didn't work well, but we removed part of it and it worked. Constantly got fresh towels and plenty of toiletries. The sink looked new, so I wonder if that had been "refurbished". Low flow toilet, with the associate good and bad.

I think my biggest problem with the bathrooms at CN was the way the windows face the corridor where everyone is walking. Lots of noise exchange with the outside world. Would it keep us from returning- NO!!!! Very relaxing enjoyable trip.

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

For their prices they're charging, there shouldnt be anything rundown. Have also heard and seen several reviews about loud and drunk guests recently.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

I have encountered loud and drunken guests at many AI resorts. For me, the important thing is how management deals with them. Couples published a Code of Conduct very recently to address this type of situation and it will come down to how they enforce it.

Our most recent Couples stay was at CSA in an Ocean Verandah and it was in significantly better shape than the OVS we stayed in the year before and the Atrium the year prior to that.

I agree that the bathrooms seriously need to be redone - at least the ones I have had over the last 5-6 years. And they need more than paint and a new shower curtain, which is what they had last trip in our OVS.

That being said, we do not go to Negril for the rooms/bathrooms and CSA has enough we really enjoy that we tolerate the bathrooms and sometimes less than desired room condition.

Edited: 19 March 2013, 11:36
Oneonta, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

Hi Pura...seeing you just got home. What was your opinion on the drinks. Do you think cheaper brands of alcohol is being poured into the top shelf brand bottles?

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

Goingsoon918,

In college I was a bartender, and after college I co owned a nice restaurant and managed a group of bars- so that's my "experience" with alcohol- and I tend to notice things. I did notice them breaking the seal on new bottles of alcohol, and the Jack Daniels, and Grey Goose I had, tasted like the real deal.

Could it be happening in some cases? Maybe? Could it not be happening? Maybe.

I never "caught" them doing anything fishy. However, if I HAD to do something like that, I would be smart about it- pour cheaper alcohol in the bottles used for making frozen drinks, because, honestly, it would be hard to tell. I definitely wouldn't mess with the high end stuff like Grey Goose, because Grey Goose drinkers could tell.

So my answer- I don't think so/I couldn't tell.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Couples getting rundown?

I would agree the room, specifically the bathroom, needs updating/renovating. As this point its probably renovating. However, if a full resort renovation meant a few hundred more a night, I'd rather deal with it. Everyone places their own value on a resort, for some the room plays a bigger role in assessing that value. For us, our value is in everything else. We always stay in cheapest room so we can go as long as possible. But...to be fair...prior to going to CSA I didnt feel this way. I think that says a lot about CSA.

And, I travel frequently for work. I have stayed in truely "run down" hotels. In larger cities for the same cost as a room at CSA. Maybe that is why I am more easy going on this.

I could be wrong, but I have yet to see a review that hated room, loved everything else, and said they wouldnt go back becuase of the room. I think if you have a bad experience with the resort, the room just seems that much worse.