We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffside accommodations

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffside accommodations

Looking to divide our time between the beach and the cliffs on our next trip to Jamaica. I have my beach location but still undecided between The Caves or The Rockhouse. I cannot figure out why The Caves are so much more expensive than the Rockhouse. They do seem to be a little more intimate and offer a private cave dinner, but other than that I don't see much of a difference. The Caves also gets consistent higher ratings than the Rockhouse on TA.

I've looked thru my travel mags and gone on the websites.

Has anyone stayed at both properties that can give me more insight? Thank you.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffside accommodations

The Caves is All Inclusive and Rockhouse is not.

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffside accommodations

Thank you boogerlayne. I am not an AI person...done it twice and probably not again, for awhile anyway. I was leaning towards the Rockhouse so the Rockhouse it will be.

Oxford, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffside accommodations

Take a look at Catch a Falling Star.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliffside accommodations

and Tensing Pen

michigan
Level Contributor
827 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliffside accommodations

Premium villa at the Rockhouse!

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliffside accommodations

Thank you for the replies. They all seem like great spots....and now I see Citronella gets good reviews as well.

Ideally I would like something private, with good service and with an open outdoor shower. Also would like to jump off the cliff from my room/cottage and snorkel.

Any more ideas or specific cottages/villas or rooms appreciated.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliffside accommodations

Rockhouse and Citronella are both nice, but nearly opposite ends of the accomodations scale. Rockhouse has a popular restaurant/bar and is close to many others. Citronella is more private and farther from stores and most restaurants. No AC at Citronella, which would be a deal breaker for us in May-Sept. Their location however is stunning - much more private than Rockhouse. IMHO, the Cave House is the best cottage there - very nice.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 02:24
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cliffside accommodations

Rockhouse if far from private with the rooms fairly close to each other. If that is your biggest wish go with Citronella.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cliffside accommodations

Hi Karf1ky, Okay, back to your original question? There is a big difference between the RH and the Caves. the RH is very large: very beautiful, but very busy. The Caves is much more intimate, private and although an AI, not like other AIs. It is the only AI I would stay at in Negril. They are both on magnificent coves with great sunsets. Go to the Caves if you can afford it and you want quiet, pampering and privacy. You may see Beonce or Jimmy Buffett there. RH has a pretty lively social scene around the pool, a nice restaurant and sits on beautiful cove. Tensing Pen is a superior resort that is incredibly beautiful and should not be out consideration. Catcha is great, but if privacy is terribly important it might be a problem for you to stay there. I now stay at Citronella which shares the large cove that the Caves uses. I love it there. I don't need AC or TV,but do love my wifi which I can get there.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cliffside accommodations

Of those 2 I would pick Rockhouse---never stayed there because we like more privacy, but the restaurant is excellent, and the pool on the point is wonderful (for guests only). We stay at SeagrapeVillas, which granted is a little more rustic, but very private and close to lots of great food options along One Love Drive.......