We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril or Montego Bay?

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Negril or Montego Bay?

Hi guys!

I'm planning a last-minute-much needed getaway. Could use your help deciding between Negril (seashore bay) or Montego Bay/Rose Hall (iberostar Rose Hall Beach). Thats kind of where the deals are right now. It looks like the beaches are nicer in Negril and this place in particular is rated well on TA but is smaller, quieter with very little entertainment. I don't want a crazy drinkfest party but I would to dance and meet people and be active in water sports. The Riu Palace looks great but it's booked.

Iberostar RH seems like a nicer resort than seashore but not sure if the area or beaches are up to par with Negril. I'm travelling solo and want to make friends, have fun, enjoy the beach and maybe learn to scuba or windsurf!

Thoughts or recommendations??

PS I'm leaving next week...

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

How long are you going? And what all do you plan on doing. If staying less than a week, consider Montego Bay. If a week or longer, either. The Iberostar is going to be a much nicer resort than Seashore Bay, But I don't think you'd go wrong with either. What is important to you in a resort?

There will be more to do off the resort in Negril, at least without having to get a taxi.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

You can find plenty of entertainment in Negril off the resort. Most of Negril caters to non all inclusive, smaller hotels and many restaurants/bars along the beach. Negril is known for its beach - top rated above Montego Bay.

Personally I would not have a desire to stay in Montego Bay (unless it was a few nights then headed elsewhere) but always enjoy Negril.

Whatever you decide - Enjoy!

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

I'll be there for a week and want to chillax and do away with the cold canadian winter but also do something too- like learn to scuba or windsurf or something. And meet people along the way!! I figure that would be easier to meet people and make new friends at an AI than a non AI...not sure if that's true... Just want to have chillax, have fun and feel safe in my surroundings! As for Negril, I'll check out Rick's and the divers, the one love crawl but don't see many options for scuba and catamaran rides yet- maybe they will be easier to find when I'm there? I don't want to sit on the beach the whole week!!! Any ideas from anyone that has travelled solo to either area?

Thanks for the recos so far anod and albertagirl :-)

Edited: 28 March 2013, 19:51
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

From what I've read previously, if you are looking to learn how to scuba, take your classes now, before you go. Then you can do your cert dives there. Otherwise, you'll be spending all your time doing classwork/homework in order to get certified.

dresseldivers.com/en/courses/diving-courses

You could always stay in Montego Bay and take a day trip to Negril.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

Hands down - Negril. Try various websites for hotels. A friend of mine is trying to book a Couples resort and they were all sold out on her dates, but then I found availability on All Inclusive Outlet. Check out Kayak too. If not there are other good places that are non A/I, Coco Lapalm, SeaSplash, Idle Awhile, Country Country, Negril Tree House to name a few.

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

Silly question perhaps, but if I don't stay at an AI in Negril, where can I eat without having to take a taxi or cook in my room?

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

Another question: do you know if I can go visit other resorts along the beach - if they look like fun or for their entertainment- even though I'm not a guest there?

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

Negril > Montego Bay

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

Plenty of places to eat on the beach. And some of it comes to you. Patties, ice ream, lobster, orange juice! Best in the West for jerk chicken, Kuyaba, Norma's at Seasplash, lot's and lot's of places. Entertainment will be announced by someone walking down the beach with a megaphone. Check out www.negrilinfo.com for insider tips and a great map of the all things in Negril. Also, go to www.negril.com, Negril forum lots of regulars to Negril that can help you out.

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril or Montego Bay?

Awesome! Thanks obayb :-)