We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butler Service at Sandals Negril

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
322 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Butler Service at Sandals Negril

I know this a controversial topic, but I want to say a few words about butler service. One of the main reasons I stay at Sandals is because they offer butlers. I like the peace of mind of not having to worry about getting up early to reserve beach chairs, or having to plan several days in advance for dinner reservations. For that, I'm willing to pay the premium associated with butler category reasons. Apparently, many guests have been complaining that butler guests receive preferential treatment. I don't think there's anything unfair about this, since butler guests pay a lot extra for that treatment. Nevertheless, the resort has responded to these complaints by limiting the ability of butlers to reserve chairs or make priority reservations. So, Sandals is continuing to charge the same "butler premium," but is offering a watered down level of service. In my opinion, Sandals should give its full support to the butler program or else get rid of it. What does everyone think?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

Agreed. Go full on butler without apologies or banish it. No one likes a half a**ed butler program. If you pay a premium for it ( like you can for room size, views etc ) then people can just deal with certain perks that come as a result of the upgrade. Never done the butler program myself but certainly don't resent those who choose to. Don't be hating on the butlers !

Edited: 31 March 2013, 17:37
Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

RJ....how did you come to hear about this?

I have absolutely no concerns with butler guests having dinner reservations made for them or reserving loungers. In fact, I did some unscientific research last year and posted about the "second class citizen" theory based on our experiences: tripadvisor.com/…39644335

Butlers should be able to do these extra things for their guests. As you say, you are paying a premium price for butler service. To me, it's no different than paying the premium price for business class air fare in order to receive the added perks of more leg room, hot meals etc etc.

We did have butler service at SN and it was among the best we've had at any Sandals where we booked a butler level room. I personally don't want them to make any changes to it.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

TP55,

Sadly, I'm sitting on a plane at Mo Bay right now, about to fly home after 8 nights at SN. Our butlers were very honest with us about some of the challenges they face. For instance, butlers used to be able to save chairs the night before. Now, they are not allowed to do that, so they are competing with all of the other guests in the morning. The butlers are supposed to start their shifts at 8 am, and by that time many of the best or shaded seats are gone. Some of the more dedicated butlers will come in at 6 am to reserve chairs, but that means they may end up working 15 hour days.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

When we were at SN last year, our butlers did not reserve loungers the night before...they did reserve them in the morning. On some mornings I would see different butlers laying out towels on various loungers, so maybe they came in early to do so.

I think each Sandals does their own thing when it comes to butlers reserving loungers. We were at SEB after it changed from an all-butler resort to butler and concierge. The butlers there did not reserve loungers. At SRP (all-butler) they also did not reserve loungers. At SRC, SN & SWH, the butlers do reserve loungers for their guests. Some resorts start their butler shifts at 7:00am, others start at 8:00am.

I've asked out of curiousity at SRC and SN if they would reserve a specific spot for their guests ...their response was that they will never guarantee a specific spot, but will do their best as they too are trying to get seats at the same time as other guests are.

I know the butlers work very hard and will work an extra long day when their partner butler has a day off....going above and beyond is something they do very well. For some butlers that might mean coming in an hour earlier to set up loungers for their guests and hopefully part of their reward for doing so would be reflected in the gratuity they receive.

Springfield, OH
Level Contributor
362 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

Seems to me if the butlers can't save chairs or make priority reservations, what's the point of having one? We have only had a butler once and it was nice to have a chair saved for us and dinner reservations made, but other than that, we didn't use them much. We are just too independent. With that being said, we don't begrudge anyone using a butler; you pay for it, you should be treated special. For my husband and I, we will probably never get a butler again. Don't get me wrong, ours was GREAT and we loved them both, but we thought for the price, it really wasn't worth it and that is just our opinion. We have never had a problem getting reservations, and we have always gotten our chairs (yes we are one of those that get up really early in the morning because we are used to getting up early). If Sandals is going to take away the ability of the butlers to reserve chairs and priority seating, with what other perks are they going to replace these?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,086 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

We have had the butler rooms, as well as all other levels of rooms at Sandals. When we had the butler level I have to agree that the lounge service and the dinner reservations were two of the most important thinks we would ask our butler to do. I have to agree with the others, these services should remain fully inplace for those willing to pay for the butler service.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

I agree - the main reason we get butler service at SN is to get reserved loungers by the pool. I am disappointed in this news to say the least :(

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

Sounds to me like both sides are getting completely screwed.

So, if you spend 7500 for a week with a butler you are more important than the couple who cheaped out and only spent 5500?? (Please note the sarcasm. )

If the hotel has limited seating on the beach, then maybe butlers are not the biggest issue for an ultra high priced resort. I would hope that if I could afford double the cost of a week at the Palace but not triple that I would still be able to get a nice lounger on the beach.

(Again, I get the argument is getting less for what you paid for but the whole entire premise sounds silly at the Sandals price point)

Cali
Level Contributor
575 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

As a Sandals advocate- come,on Sandals, wake up and give us what we pay for in the butler category!! There's always gonna be the crybabies who fell like they should get something for nothing, but when I've paid for those butler services, you can damn well bet I want them. Those butlers work their butts off for their guests but now Sandals, you're putting them between a rock and a hard place by saying they can't provide for their guests with what they should be providing!!!!

Alexandria Bay
Level Contributor
551 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Butler Service at Sandals Negril

We were at Sandals Negril in a Butler Swim up room. Everything is the same as last year with Our butlers getting our chairs ready in the shade and making various reservations for dinner for us. I saw no one telling the butlers that they can't reserve chairs for butler guests. Sure some people will complain but they don't realize that we paid for that service. I do not know were Reggae Junkie got this info as I can not find any of his claims in print.