We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches Turks or Beaches Negril?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Beaches Turks or Beaches Negril?

Hello,

We're planning our summer vacation for a family of four with a 3 year old and a 14 year old. We've narrowed our search to these two resorts but I can't decide between the two. Negril is almost 2K cheaper than Turks. Is Turks worth the extra money?

Things that are important to us are

- good kids program for the 3 year old

- lots of activities to keep the 14 year old and daddy happy

- nice beach with calm water to keep mommy happy

- good shallow pool for 3 year who is afraid of water

Most important is good food. i'm vegan which is going to make eating a challenge at either resort. My husband (not vegan) had bad experience in the dominican with the same cold food being served every day in the dominican for lunch and breakfast so warm food and variety is important for him.

Also, we're going in July is one island better than the other for weather?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches Turks or Beaches Negril?

Have been to Beaches Turks and it was nice. Grace Bay is amazing and one of the few beaches better than Negril. I do think Beaches are overpriced. T&C will be less humid than Negril. Have walked by Beaches Negril and it would appear to be quite nice. I'd go with Negril. It will offer everything you seek. Cant see spending $2K more.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort...
5,555 Reviews
Jamaica
michigan
Level Contributor
875 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches Turks or Beaches Negril?

I would choose where there will be less rain.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches Turks or Beaches Negril?

kerr987: Only you can answer the 'is it worth an extra $2K' question. What you may find valuable, I may find irrelevant..here's what I offer wrt to comparing the two properties based on multiple stays at both:

1. Resort employee demographics at T & C is much more international wrt to country of origin. Not sure this matters...but it is a difference.

2. Weather...July is rainy season in Negril. You can pretty much count on a daily shower for a brief period of time. According to weather.com and other sources average rainfall in Negril in July is 2.9 inches compared to about 1.6 inches in T & C. You can watch the clouds form on a daily basis to the east of Negril...by 1:00pm they are dumping localized showers all up and down 7 Mile Beach. Never washes out an entire day...but it does rain for a short period. We always just ate a late lunch to maximize sun/activity time.

3. T & C is MUCH larger property...so there is 'more' to do if you will in that sense in terms of dining options, number of pools, etc. But it's also means longer navigation distances to just move around...a 3 year old means lots longer distances for them to walk or somebody push a stroller.

4. Same activties at both more than enough for myself and our two teen, very sports oriented, kids entertained.

5. I wouldn't worry too much about the vegan issue. Beaches/Sandals are known for making special accomodations to people with dietary restrictions. The forums and reviews are full of people who are vegan, need gluten free, low/no salt, commenting how all you have to do is tell your server at a restaurant of your needs and the culinary staff seem more than willing to make something special to meet your requests.

6. The beach at Beaches Negril is MUCH wider than T & C. The T & C beach was probably 1/3 the width, and much more sloped into the ocean. Both beaches had relatively calm water unless it gets really windy.

Pure opinion: Our kids and us adults had WAY more fun at the Negril property. Entirely due to staff friendliness, accomodating special needs and requests, and the way the staff treated our kids wrt to integrating them into group activities. The staff at Negril WAY outshown the staff at T & C.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort...
5,555 Reviews
Jamaica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches Turks or Beaches Negril?

Thank you for all your help, it was very useful. We've decided to go to Negril. Both resorts had what we were looking for and in the end we decided to go with the cheaper option. Now we're counting down the months and hoping for good weather.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches Turks or Beaches Negril?

Great decision kerr. We have been to BN and will have a family of 17 staying there in October! The beach is fantastic.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,333 posts
681 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches Turks or Beaches Negril?

I responded to your question on the Turks forum.......I enjoy BTC more but a $2K price difference is significant!

Enjoy BN!!!

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Beaches Turks or Beaches Negril?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 06:16