We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Topic
Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

It seems like a trend to over charge tourists for beer on the way in from the airport & the bus crawls

alot of interest in this issue

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

I've done the pub crawl and everyplace seemed to charge a pretty fair price. I think we got a better price using JA than US. One place was even 2 for 1 happy hour just like home :)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

How much do New Yorkers charge tourists for beer? How much is a beer at JFK?

Edited: 10 May 2013, 01:57
New York
Level Contributor
705 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

Blue

beer is 2.50..not sure how much at JFK ...but airport beer is usually high....is there a airplane that will land on the beach??? What does that have to do with Negrl

Edited: 10 May 2013, 02:20
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
248 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

Yes, there's a 7 page thread about this at another forum. Supposedly the issue has been resolved by Lenbert himself.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 02:36
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

LAThomas,

The thread you are dragging this information from and in which you were an active poster was closed by the moderator for as he put it obvious reasons. There is no trend as you state in your post here. There is one bar which charged $5 on the pub crawl and that has been corrected. The bar that charged a premium for beer during the airport transfer was an obvious set up for tourists going to the RIU. This can happen anywhere one travels. Nobody forced anyone to buy the beer. The point I was trying to make in my first post is that merchants will take advantage of tourists if their is an opportunity and demand, much like what one is charged in an airport, or say a Hard Rock Cafe as an example. It is not unique to Jamaica, nor is there a trend. I see no need to raise unnecessary problems when there aren't any.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

The price of beer is determined by very basic microeconomic principles. It works the same everywhere on this planet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

Hope you dont buy a beer in Canada not much change back from a ten

Canada
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

This is why a beer in Toronto costs $8 but I can get one in the nearest town to me for way less than half that.

It's also why I can get a beer in Treasure Beach for 180 JA

(and I've found them for less in some places)

Economics!

Edited: 10 May 2013, 04:01
Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

Yep supply and demand. I just laugh whe people say beer is expensive if its $3.50 per

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Over charging Tourists for Beer In Negril????

"over charge" who decides what the charge should be...they can charge whatever they want.

Ask the price first and don`t order if you are not happy with it. $5 a beer is low pricing where I live. Every airport is expensive. I paid at least $20 U.S. for 2 beers and 2 waters at Cancun airport, didn`t feel the need to complain on a forum and was not overcharged..the price is the price...still enjoyed every last drop :) ..and the delicious 75 cent tacos in Tulum certainly made up for it.