We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floyd's Pelican Bar

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
9 posts
Save Topic
Floyd's Pelican Bar

Has anyone ever gone to the Pelican Bar? If so, where is it located in relation to RIU Palace Tropical Bay and what's the best way to get there? What are your thoughts on the place?

Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
10,843 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

Very common question. See the following for answers to all your questions

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k47006…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147313-d1…

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

You'll need a private driver to get there since it's almost 2 hours from Negril, check the list on the top right of the page for recommended drivers. You can pair it with other things, like YS Falls, the Appleton Rum Factory, or a Black River boat ride.

We've been and loved it, it was a highlight of our trip. It's a bar in the middle of the sea, and chill abounds. Don't expect to be entertained, it's a place to hang out and relax. We're going back on our next trip, we loved it. A bucket list destination for sure. Check out the reviews here on TA for pics and more info.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,009 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

Great place to see if you want a real Jamaican experience. Yes, about two hours drive from Negril and then 10 boat from Parotte beach area.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

I agree with Julie. Floyd's a wonderful place and a very unique experience, but a long drive just to do that. Best to make it part of a day trip and see some of the many wonderful sites along the way. Get out and see a real slice of Jamaica away from the usual tourist areas.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 16:31
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
46 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

Try Rockys Tours special called Rocky Thursday, it takes you to Black River, YS Falls & Pelican Bar

We were picked up at RPTB at 8.30am and arrived back about 6.30pm so its a full and enjoyable day out at a very good price

Canada
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

That would be a perfect day!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,009 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

Definately a very full day, but fun. There are also lots of great private drivers that could do these trips, checkout The List in the upper right corner of this page for some very good driver options.

Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

Thanks for the information! I think we'll try the Rocky Thursday. Is it better to book before you go or make arrangements when you get there? How do they handle payment?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,009 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

Skw, we usually book before we go, but not necessary. Our particular driver doesn't ask for or expect payment until the service is completed. Always make sure to confirm a price before you enter the car.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
262 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Floyd's Pelican Bar

We went when we stayed in the Treasure Beach area.

I thought it was very cool, but I definitely would add sights to see as others suggested. imho, it would not be worth the trip just to see the Pelican Bar.

When we went a few years ago, there was a large outfit situated along the shore of the river taking people out for Black River tours in bigger, safari-style boats. We elected to go with a local fisherman who approached us when we were downtown. It was just the three of us in his small boat, and we had a great time. We stopped at Sista Lou's for crab and conversation, and we got to take the tour at our own pace. It was nice to support a local instead of a larger business (the other place looked fine - it was just very commercial).

When we got back, he took us through the fish camp and introduced us to his friends and family. It was a really nice day. The local fishermen's boats are small, brightly-painted boats lined up along the river. It's likely if you go downtown that one of the fishermen may ask you if you'd like a tour. (Wish I could remember the name of the person who took us!) I highly recommend it.