We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

* Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
248 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
* Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

Leaving for Negril in 6 days, can't wait. Renting an enduro in the area for 3-4 days. Really would appreciate some day trip ideas near-by, that aren't terribly far away (less than 2hr riding), but worth the ride. Thinking about taking W. End Rd from Bloody Bay to Little Bay and Blue Hole. My only question about that route is where W. End Rd dead ends, it appears there is a man-made rd that leads to the rd to Little Bay. Would this area in be ride-able as far as being non-private property? Also, wondering if it's worth going north toward Orange Bay? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,006 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

When I ride to Little Bay I take the road that goes into the hills through Retirement and Orange Hill. Not long before you come to the main road from Negril to Sav-la-Mar there is a taxi stand - a motorcycle taxi stand - and that is where you turn right towards the south coast again. That road passes by Blue Hole in Broughton and on to Little Bay.

You'll also pass Jamaica Jurassic Park before that turn off, that's a fun stop.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

I stay in Negril and Little Bay. Never did the bike route but many do and say it is much fin!! The roads are bumpy :)

Last week I took a motorcycle taxi to the Blue Hole from Little Bay and that was great!!

the Blue Hole is a real chill spot...bushbaby and I stayed all day!

PEACE!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
248 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

Thanks so far! Is there a map of this bike trail? I assume motorbikes are allowed on it?

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

What is an "Enduro"?

If you are renting a moped, dirt bike or motorcycle, refer to this, with map:

westcountywestend.com/2013/…

Riding on the road to get to Little Bay...from Bloody Bay you'd take the "beach road" (Norman Manley Blvd.) to the roundabout and head up West End Road (aka "One Love Drive"). You'll head west, then south on West End Road. When you come to the patty shop (Out of Town Pastries) the road will fork, bear right. You'll now follow that road (still West End Road) heading south. Follow it until it T's - make a right. You'll take that road all the way into Little Bay...you'll go through Orange Hill, Revival, then Brighton (where Blue Hole is).

Liz's direction work too but if you are on a Moped or Bicycle I suggest going the "back" way, described above. I find it to be a prettier ride too, but both are very scenic.

If your "Enduro" is a mountain bike and you are looking to ride trail, I strongly recommend you get a guide to take you. First you don't want to get lost, second you do not know the folks that live out in the bush there and it may get "dicey". PM me if you'd like me to hook you up with a guide.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 21:41
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

OK, checked with my motorhead friends (god son). Enduro=dirt bike. Renting in Negril you'll find 175's and 225's mostly. The 225 gives a nice ride on or off road. So sayeth my little "expert" :)

I'm not 100% sure you can still ride the trail to Little Bay from Negril on a motorized bike...new gates and walls have been built that makes hauling a motorized bike overhead quite difficult.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 21:47
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
248 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

^Thanks for the link! Prento has a XR650 with my name on it, but shhh don't tell anyone ;)..

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

Enduro will be perfect! We have taken a scooter out that way a few times...yes bumpy ride but fun.

The first time we got lost, ...just had missed a turn..nice thing just ask someone along the way and they will tell you the right direction. It really is a nice ride and does not take long (20 minutes if I remember correctly). You may want to go on a longer trip since you are equipped to do it..Bluefields Bay and Whitehouse area is very pretty and still well under 2 hrs, thinking closer to 1 or 1-1/2 hrs. someone correct me if I am wrong?? I don't keep good track of time while on holidays! Really don't think it can be over 2 hrs.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

Bluefields Bay/South Coast on a dirt bike can be done (my god son rides with us and he rents a 225) but your butt will hurt, lol. Nice thing about riding the south coast on a dirt bike is navigating the abundance of pot holes (though when I was there over the winter they were in the process of fixing the road from Ferris Cross to Whitehouse - thank you Sandals!)

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

Rastagirl - Enduro's are not exactly equal to a dirt bike - Enduro's are made for riding longer distances...but a sore butt can be had on any motorcyle..even a cruiser.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: * Day Trips by Bike Near Negril *

I've gotten sore butt on the Shadow but not as bad as on the smaller dirt bike. Hey, we rode our shadows to Port Antonio last year. Sore butt? At times, but not so bad and it was a magnificent ride!