We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bocaratonFL
Level Contributor
204 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

We are staying in Runaway, for a wedding but really wanted to see Negril. Is it worth the

3 hours traveling each way to visit for a day? We will be with our two teenagers. Wish we

could have stayed closer, but thats where they booked the event. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
470 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

The first time we went to Jamaica, we stayed at Breezes Runaway Bay. We took a day trip to Negril and had a great time. The roads were much worse back them but I would do it if I were you. Nothing better.

Florida
Level Contributor
374 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

I honestly can't see that it's worth the drive. 3 hours each way just isn't worth it, IMO.

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

If you want to go see negril, go see negril leave at 6 AM arrive by 9 AM have a day on the beach at a destination like Cosmos drive around town have an afternoon dinner on the west end leave negril by 4 PM and you are back at your resort at 7. If you want to go ahead and do it

Tiverton, Rhode...
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

If you look at the ride as a sightseeing experience it makes the trip more appealing. I like the beach day at Cosmo's. Nice beach and good food.

Jefferson, Georgia
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

Steve has a good point. Usually, when we take a day trip in Jamaica, the drive is just as interesting as the destination. And, there are many cheap rooms on the beach. You could spend one night so that you don't have to do all the driving in one day.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

It depends on how long you're staying and what's important to you. Negril's beach is superb - much nicer than the beaches we've seen in Runaway Bay. But IMHO, if I was staying for a week, I'd just stay put and enjoy the stuff nearby, rather than spending a good part of a day driving.

thunder bay
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

With a name like Runaway Bay you and yours are almost obligated to run away at least for the day. You don't say if you are hiring a driver or driving yourself. If driving yourself I would recommend staying overnight and also think about doing a circle route so you don't see the same road twice.You could see Black River and Mandaville etc. and then back home to Runaway. If you hire a driver it might be a there and back trip but better than going home and regretting not having made the effort. So go. Having said all that, visiting Negril for one day and leaving is nothing short of heart wrenching ,so you've been warned. Good luck

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

I think it would be worth it, allows you to check it out for future trips?

Edited: 26 May 2013, 13:25
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

We do the 3 hour drive to Virginia Beach for a day trip, so why not? I think your kids would love Negril.

10. Re: Worth the trip from Runaway Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 07:17