We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A great time!

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
A great time!

We are back from our trip to Negril and had a memorable trip! We stayed at Charela Inn. Working on a review. But just wanted to quickly say we had a wonderful time. We loved our stay at the Inn. Everything was great. We loved the beach! We loved our beachfront suite. We loved the staff. We loved the food. We loved the drinks. The weather was not the best, since it rained for a time each afternoon, but we knew that going in. We usually travel in Jan or Feb so May was different. But the water was fabulous! It was quieter that we are used to, but we enjoyed that as well. We stayed at Idle Awhile last year, but wanted an all inclusive option to have a totally chill time and it worked out fabulously. It was unbelievable, really. We wanted for nothing. We are planning a trip with extended family next year and believe we will be going to the Inn again. Just can't beat the whole package. The two nights entertainment were great. The pool was a welcomed diversion. But the beach is what we go to Negril for and we liked the elbow room. Having stayed at Swept Away twice before we walked past the resort each day and man it was packed. When we first walked up I could not believe the number of people in the water, not what we remember. Good for them, but I did not miss not being there in the least. We went to the cliffs for drinks at Rick's, never been and had not planned on going, but since it was so quiet we thought it might be fun for some "action". It was very nice, really. We also went in the rain to Boardwalk Village. Never been to that part of 7 mile beach, been to Long Bay and Bloody Bay. We liked our walk in the rain there. And the Beach Whites store was very nice. Bought a few things from the very nice staff. Our trip was incidence free and we had a wonderful time. Just cannot beat Negril for an affordable trip to a fabulous location! We look forward to Jamaica 2014!

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A great time!

jc

So glad to hear you had a wonderful time on your well deserved and awaited return to Negril, and that you discovered a new favorite place to stay!

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A great time!

Glad to hear you had a great time. How did their AI plan work ? Also, do you have to do the AI plan for your entire trip, or can you do it for only part of your trip, so you can head to different restaurants on a few days ?

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A great time!

I too would like to know how their AL worked??

New Jersey
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A great time!

The all inclusive plan was breakfast, off the menu, lunch, off the menu, dinner, a pre-set 5 course dinner with a choice of one of two entrees. I had read that you can substitute if either entrees where not to your liking. Breakfast was juice, coffee, fruit plate, basket of bread and "pastries"....a sweet and eggs, anyway...including omelets or French toast, bacon, sausage or ham or Jamaican breakfast. We also ordered croissants. Lunch included your choice of pizzas, salads, Jamaican meals - enjoyed goat, chicken & pork, sandwiches, sides and dessert. Dinner was different every night, included wonderful soup, appetizers that were varied and delicious (ex. salmon nest, seafood in cream sauce in puff pastry, achee-salt fish and bammy, veggie patty), their incredible house salad (which I had each day at lunch as well) and entrée (ex. Jamaican chicken, grilled salmon, grilled seafood platter, beef tenderloin - was unbelievable, fish in coconut sauce, shrimp rundown) and dessert. They have an extensive selection of desserts. All good. They make their own ice cream and sorbets which were great, as were the homemade cookies served with them. Their baked goods are done in house and are really good. All drinks are included, except whiskeys. So instead of scotch we had rum on the rocks to end the day, plus we bought a bottle at the duty free on our way. Their frozen drinks were VERY good. I never get them out, not a fan of sweet, they make them without that simple syrup that I had such a hard time getting them to do at CSA. The wines included were very good, we especially enjoyed the white wine. We were pleasantly surprised by the plan.

You can do the plan for a minimum of three days. You can also do just the meal plan for one, two or three meals. We paid $70 per day for the all inclusive....that was for both of us! Can't beat that. Their pre fixe dinner is priced according to the meal, which varied from 28 pp to 60 pp.

We love Jamaican food and have loved our meals at Cosmos, Kuybya, Rockhouse, Pushcart, Ivans, Chill Awhile, Xtabie, Best of the West, Niahs. One of the things we missed at the meals at CSA and why we ventured out, but we feel this was a great compromise. Kind of nice not having to head out in a cab. But with the location there are lots of walkable places and heck, the cliff establishments are great, so who knows how we will feel next time. But for this trip it was great. You can sit inside under a fan, outside under the awning or under the stars. They had a nice sound track and the entertainment was great.

We added up our food and drinks our second full day and it added up to over $250. Staff were terrific and were surprised by how we split our lunches and desserts. But it is included they would say.....and we would say.....it is just too much! Considering the price we were set to head out for meals here and there, but never felt the need. I guess we are easy to please, although I always thought I was a food snob!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A great time!

Thanks so much for sharing. Im not sure when I will get back to Negril. We usually go every year and last year 2 times. We have stayed at CSA 3 times and I keep trying to get the hubby to venture away from the AI. This might be a good option. He has promised me a trip back to Jamaica after I kick this breast Cancer. I was leaning towards CoCo Lapalm but may look into Charlea!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A great time!

Marilynn - you GO girl. You will kick it and you will be back!!!! Sending healing energy your way.

I just found Charela this year via a croissant breakfast and a lovely evening of escargots, eclairs and champagne. It would be a place that I'd put my mother to stay - one of the owners is French - and the other, Dan Grizzle is one of the most charming men in Negril.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A great time!

Your welcomed, marylynn. I too am sending healing energy your way and look forward to hearing about your planning a trip back to Negril, real soon!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A great time!

jcjcnj great trip report!! nice to keep the good vibes going!

and sending them to you as well marilynn...when you are healed and ready to go make it 3times in that year!!!

PEACE!

9. Re: A great time!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 06:18