We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

Huntsville, Arkansas
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

Which resort has the best beach, best food, best entertainment? Can we walk down Seven Mile Beach from either of them? Which resort will be more likely to have older teenagers vs. young children? Is there a big difference? There is a big difference in the price--the Riu Negril is almost $1,000 less for a week (2 rooms). Is the Riu Tropical Bay worth paying more for? Thank You!

United States
Level Contributor
12,363 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

"Which resort has the best beach, best food, best entertainment?"

RIU Palace Tropical Bay

"Can we walk down Seven Mile Beach from either of them?"

Both hotels are located directly on Seven Mile Beach. You can walk the beach from either of them.

"Is there a big difference?"

In what aspect of the two resorts?

"Is the Riu Tropical Bay worth paying more for?"

Depending on what you are looking for in a resort it can be worth paying more for. It is really a matter of opinion.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

In all my research both RIU's are on Bloody Bay, not Seven Mile beach.

Selinsgrove...
Level Contributor
323 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

This is my understanding.

Bloody Bay (2.5 miles) + Long Bay (4.5 miles) = "7 mile beach"

We picked Riu Negril based mostly on price. We have stayed at Riu Palace in Mexico but figured we would save some $$$ to do more off the resort.

And unless you really really like to walk I'd never attempt to walk to the heart of 7 Mile beach from either Riu.

Check out this map.

wikimapia.org/…b

Edited: 29 May 2013, 23:53
Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

Please excuse Gailieb , as she's new here.

Virginia
Level Contributor
919 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

Bloody Bay is part of the 7 Mile Beach (Bloody Bay + Long Bay)

I would choose the Riu Tropical Bay of the two. The beach and water is nicer at Tropical Bay than up at the other Riu. In addition to nicer beach and water area I think those staying at Riu Tropical Bay get to use all of the restaurants at Riu Negril while those at Riu Negril don't have that same option at Tropical Bay.

We very much enjoyed our stay at Riu Tropical Bay.

The $ saving for choosing Riu Negril would have to be very good for me to choose that one over the nicer Tropical Bay property.

All the best !

Huntsville, Arkansas
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

Thank you everyone for your information!

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

I stayed at RIU Palace and yes they have a very nice beach and clear water. You cannot walk on the beach to the southern part of 7 mile beach from either Riu's. You have to walk on the road or take a cab.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

We have not stayed at either RIU but have stayed at the Couples Negril next door. From our obseravations RIU Tropical Bay which is next to Couples Negril is on the calm waters of the bay. It is these calm waters which have made us come back many times. Riu Negril is on the side of the bay and the water is different. The landscaping at Rui Tropical Bay looks better then that of Rui Negril.

Both resorts are located next to a public park where there afre alot of locals. So if taking long beach walks is your thing at Rui Negril you will be walking by the park. At Rui Tropical bay you can head the other direction and walk thru the other resort beach properties.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

We are booked for Riu Tropical Palace, after looking at both for a while. I read that the beach at Riu ClubHotel is man made, and not as nice as Tropical Palace. Also, guests at Tropical Palace have access to both hotels, but Clubhotel guests do not. For our family of 6 it was about $1,500 more, but for the amount of money we are spending on the vacation I didn't want to risk being disappointed in the beach/hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
216 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Negril s. Riu Tropical Bay?

If kids are involved I would choose the club over the palace. The pools at the club are five times larger. If you are not pool people and the money is not a big deal, go with RTP.