We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inflatable Noodle/ other device

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Inflatable Noodle/ other device

Ok I know that this is a silly question but I have never done this before and I have to ask. I see many post encouraging packing an inflatable noodle or spring float. Yes I am laughing as I ask this question.. How do you keep from floating to far away into the ocean ? Are you treading with your feet ? Clearly I do not swim often. ..lol

.. Maybe if I have to ask the question - I should avoid the flotation device!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inflatable Noodle/ other device

Well if you are staying in Negril the water is pretty calm. I pack a blow up air mattress and usually float down stream, not out to Cuba!! LOL no worries!! We also use them in the pool!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inflatable Noodle/ other device

I've bought ours for our October trip - and we'll be leaving them at the resort when we (sadly) have to return home.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,134 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inflatable Noodle/ other device

Many resorts have a roped swimming area (rope secured on the bottom and floated with pontunes). So if you bump into the rope, you can hang on or start the leaisurely swim closer to the shore.

Generally these ropes are about 20 yards, max, from the shore line.

The resorts post green/yellow/red flags along the beach with the red flag meaning that the water is closed.

You have to work hard to float to far away from the shore.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Inflatable Noodle/ other device

countdowncrazy

By all means, bring your flotation device you will be happy you did! For the most part pending weather conditions, the occasional small bands of waves caused by jet skis and motor boats the sea off the coast of Negril is very calm with no large waves crashing on shore. IMO floating in the sea is so relaxing and fun in Negril and a great way to just hang out, cool off and catch some rays. You can also float on your belly and use your arms to steer and paddle back in front of your beach lounger area if you start floating down stream. We also like to hang on the rope for a while while floating, a good guarantee you won't end up down stream if there is a stronger current that day.

If we are not staying at a resort that provides floats and/or staying at a resort which frowns on guests taking the provided floats in the sea, we bring our own then leave them behind for our housekeeper to give to children they have or know.

Enjoy!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inflatable Noodle/ other device

Thank you all for the responses to my weird question I really appreciate it and I feel much better.

Level Contributor
382 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inflatable Noodle/ other device

Wally World and target have the spring floats. We have taken them and left them. Going to CSS this time so no need. Every chair has a float.

East Hampton...
Level Contributor
208 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inflatable Noodle/ other device

That's a great question.

We bought an inexpensive tube at Family Dollar to use in Aruba. We had a great time using it while treading water. Instead of passing it on to someone when we left, it got away from us and it went towards Venezuela :-)

When we returned home we bought a few more to use on our next vacations in case the hotel did not have floats.

East Hampton...
Level Contributor
208 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inflatable Noodle/ other device

I forgot to add that we used a hotel float at Pompano Beach Hotel in Bermuda and "got taken" quite a distance away from the shore . We were enjoying it so much that we did not realize how far away we had gone..We both had to swim very hard to get back.

Moral of story is to be careful.

9. Re: Inflatable Noodle/ other device

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 06:17