We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money and exchange????

whitby,ontario
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Money and exchange????

Staying at the Clubriu and was wondering if there is money exchange or bank on the resort grounds or at the front desk to exchange currencey from American money to Jamaican? We are Canadian but will be bringing American dollars.

Question:

Do you have to exchange your American money or can it be used for tips and purchasing items/souveniers around the resort?

If you venture out off t he resort, can American dollars be used in restaurants/bars or buying gifts/souveniers

Thank you in advance!!

United States
Level Contributor
11,494 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money and exchange????

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c140152/Jamai…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

"can it be used for tips and purchasing items/souveniers around the resort?"

The RIU prices and sells everything in US dollars.

Bring your ScotiaBank debit card.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money and exchange????

99% will take US$$$. Relax and have a great trip!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money and exchange????

There is probably no need for you to exchange to JMD being at an AI. If you do go off resort and want some local currency, exchange CAD, that way you won't be hit with exchange loss twice. The best rates are obtained at a cambio (there's one across the street from Time Square shopping centre). You would pay high exchange rates in Canada, airports and hotels.

That being said, I agree, you likely won't find anywhere that won't accept USD.

Powhatan, VA
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money and exchange????

in 21 trips, we haven't ever changed to JA dollars...everything is priced in US dollars...you would be smart to bring ones, fives and tens so that you don't every have to rely on anyone for change.

you can charge things to your room and you have to put a credit card on file when you check in so that is what will be charged upon check out.

all drivers, baggage handlers, etc are expecting tips...they want US dollars.

enjoy your trip

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,085 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money and exchange????

As a US citizen, I would not under any circumstances use a debit card while on vacation. If the number is stolen, you have no legal recourse to recover lost funds. US Laws limit credit card loses to $50 but there is no such protection for debit cards. Some banks may have a business model to refund your loses, but the process could take some time. With a Debit card, fraudulent use can drain you checking account and any accounts linked to it to zero.

So, before I journey anywhere, I let me bank know which credit cards I will be using and where.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money and exchange????

dmenger "everything is priced in US dollars", many places we go to Negril price in Jamaican dollars but yes will take U.S..the poster is Canadian though so does not make sense to take U.S. dollars.

LorieWhitby - as a Canadian I would not get U.S. dollars at all....learned this after our first trip, you can exchange Canadian cash or travellers cheques to Jamaican funds at a cambio in Negril..or take Jamaican cash out of a bank machine - there is a Scotiabank and other bank machines...and you do pay less in Jamaican than U.S...and if someone prices in U.S.ask fof the price in Jamaican, guarantee it will be less or at best equal.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 05:58
Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money and exchange????

I agree albertagirl makes no sense to exchange to $US. Using $JA is not that complicated.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money and exchange????

I agree with Albertagirl also, especially on principle for the Jamaican economy and after a couple of trips using both JMD and a bit of USD, my last trip, I did as she does. However, I was at non-AI hotels. It depends how much they're going to be off resort. If they're not going to spend more than a couple of hundred dollars, or less, and mostly on resort, they can certainly get by with USD. Hate to say it (it's getting so Americanized) but it would work for them.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money and exchange????

I have been on many (long) trips to Jamaica and have never thought about bringing US dollars with me, partly as I am from the UK and secondly as I rent apartments / villas when I come to Jamaica. US$ are widely accepted outside of the all inclusive hotels in souvenir shops, touristy shopping areas, attractions and the over-priced Americanised themed restaurants and bars, where they tend to only label items in US$.

Whereas the more authentically Jamaican the place, the more likely it will be priced in JA$. As other posters have mentioned you generally get over charged (price rounded up) using US$, where the equivalent price in JA$ would work out less, or at least the same. It is also sometimes hard to get change, or should I say the correct change when paying in US$, so if you do insist on spending US$ bring a supply of small notes with you.

I prefer to use Jamaican currency, as you look less like a novice or rich tourist and can get a better deal when buying things outside of the resort. You are in a different country, so use the national currency of JA$, as most of the locals do!

Edited: 09 June 2013, 09:06
10. Re: Money and exchange????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 05:16