We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to pick up groceries

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to pick up groceries

Since we are not staying at an AI for once (yay) but staying at Hide Awhile, we would like to pick up stuff for the fridge and, coffee, rum, breakfast stuff, snacks etc.. Where would be the best place to shop? Thanks for any info :)

United States
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

I like to shop at the Hi-Lo. A second choice is Quality Traders which is just east of the Hi-Lo.

new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

So they have also have rum or do I need to go to a liquor store? I'm sooooo new to a non-AI ..LOL :)

United States
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

The Hi-Lo has rum, beer, etc. but I have never looked for it other places. It has everything, except flowers and a deli, that you would find in a small version of an A&P in New York including many US brands of goods plus items from Jamaica (buy Grace brand items for the best value), Canada, and the UK.

new york
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

Thanks soooo much!

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

Wise Choice Grocery is not too far from you and may have everything you need.

Here is a map so you can see where it is located (pg 4 across from Catcha Falling Star):

talkofthetownnegril.com/Negril_Map_2_15_11.p…

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

Wise Choice is a nice local market. It's the closest one to Hide Awile, and has the basics - snacks, staples like bread, veggies, milk, etc... rum and other liquors, juices, beer, soda, sundries, etc... It's a ~5 min cab ride or ~15-20 min walk.

If you want to stock up, stopping at the HiLo or Valuemaster supermarkets in town is a good idea on your way from the airport. They're much larger and have a similar selection to a small grocery store (+ liquor) here in the USA.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

We always stop at MegaMart in MoBay

Got everything you could possibly need

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,329 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

Wise Choice has pretty much everything HiLo has, at around the same prices - just less of it and not so much of a selection of imported goods (HiLo is known for having a somewhat large selection of American favorites such as corn chips and cereals). I shop at Wise Choice quite a bit - I always like their produce selection much more than HiLo or ValueMaster. I like the produce selection at Quality Traders also, especially when they get their fresh shipment.

michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

I always stock up at Hi Lo the day after we arrive.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,744 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to pick up groceries

I really like Hi Lo a lot. I just took a route taxi down and back (you need to walk out to the road to get the route taxi home, the ones in front of the store are regular taxis and much more expensive). I went there most days during my trip along with a stop at an internet cafe. Wise Choice seemed to have a lot less selection to me but the people were very nice and it was convenient.

suze