We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash

Alvaton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Cash

If not staying at an AI and needing to bring 2K , what is the best system if trying to bring in small demominations. Have only stayed at AI's where I needed very little cash.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
496 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash

I usually take 20's 10's 5's & 1's but in your case I would bring 50's as well do you plan on exchanging any of the monies?

Edited: 20 June 2013, 19:12
United States
Level Contributor
12,230 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash

Keep in mind that 2k of $US1 bills will weigh 5 pounds and will for a stack about 9 inches high.

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash

Good Break down for 2k

14*$50=700

25*$20=500

30*$10=300

60*$5=300

200*$1=200

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash

Wow $2K to Jamaica. You must be staying a while.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash

I'd suggest you take about $500 in ready cash and draw from ATMs for the rest. Its more secure that way.

Please change your USD to JMD - you'll get a better bang for the buck and it helps the local economy.

Kittymommy - the way prices are in Negril these days and depending on how the OP is used to traveling I'd say 2K for two people will last about 2 weeks.

Alvaton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash

Its actually for 4 . I haven't been back since 96 and did an AI. As I recall its a pain to have Jamaican $ especially when its time to go home/

Alvaton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash

Thanks . I was looking for a break-down.

Alvaton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash

What are your thoughts on exchanging ? I recently got a CC that doesn't have foreign transaction fees charged. I put a couple of deposits down at Catcha and the Treehouse and was charged extra which made me realize there was a foreign transaction fee added.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash

Redlegger, since you've only ever stayed AI, even back in '96 you might think it's a "pain" to have Jamaican money - if you were staying non-AI back then you'd understand that this was the currency that was most taken and quoted back then.

Look, you are going to a foreign country - not staying in an all-inclusive so you have the opportunity to REALLy check out that foreign country. When you travel abroad in most countries you HAVE to use their currency. In Jamaica you'll simply make your money go farther - if you pay for something in US they can convert at any rate they want which at times can be significantly lower than the rate you'll get at the bank, ATM or Cambio. On that alone I strongly suggest you change your money. And if you do as I suggested, use the ATMs (which weren't as plentiful in '96 as they are now) chances are you won't go home with any Jamaican money.

Now, about that 2K - how long are you staying? Since you are four people (I'm assuming that budget covers all four?) that'll do you for a week probably - for 2 weeks you'll need to probably double that amount.

As far as credit card fees - most banks charge an international transaction fee. Some hotels in Negril charge more if you use a credit card - that's because the rates for Negril Merchants can be pretty high (Close to 5% for American Express which is why you seldom see that card taken there). I bank with Bank of America and use their ATM down there at Scotia Bank - no fees at all. I think my ITF on my Citibank credit card is around 2-3% of the transaction - but I seldom use my credit card in Jamaica - seldom to never as a matter of fact.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,875 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash

I also would suggest starting with $500-1000 max. in USD and exchanging it into JMD. Or taking the JMD directly from a bank ATM using a debit card. I only used Jamaican dollars and it worked out perfectly. Just near the end of the trip keep it in mind and only change a smaller amount for the last few days so you don't end up with 'extra'.

suze