We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips at airport

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tips at airport

Leaving very soon!

Just wondering, whats a good tip for the baggage handlers at the airport? At what poibt do you tip them (i.e when should i reach for the cash!). Whats best for tips -american dollars or jamaican? Heading to CSA.

Thank you all!

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips at airport

Tip them when you get to the vehicle. I think most people tip $2-3 US per bag.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips at airport

$2 American per bag !

A really heavy bag or hard to handle stuff could be a buck more.

Easier to use American than Jamaican dollars at this point .

Now I see your Canadian.....are you asking about using Canadian money ?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,690 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips at airport

I usually handle my own bags at the airport. If I don't I usually give $1US per bag, sometimes more.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips at airport

Thanks for the help!

Nope - Canadian money isn't too popular, so were expecting to bring mostly USD with a few Jamaican peppered in.

Cali
Level Contributor
577 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips at airport

anod- I'm with you there! It's crazy that some of the airport employees want a tip to move your bag just ten feet!! I'm capable to take my own bags but like you, when they do handle my bags it's $1. a bag

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips at airport

I completely agree bruzbee - I don't mind handling my own bags , but I've read on here that sometimes the baggage handlers just go ahead and do it for you, and they aren't always pleasant to those (often for lack of experience in the situation) who don't give them a tip. Hopefully being prepared saves me from a potentially uncomfortable situation :p.

A few dollars isnt too much, so I'm happy to oblige. Thank you again :)

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips at airport

The guy who guides you to baggage handlers is also looking for a tip, so is the guy in the van....lol.....

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,690 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips at airport

They always come after my bags. I just tell them I'm good and can handle them myself. Usually never a problem.

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
475 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips at airport

Yes, we usually handle them ourselves too. $1 per bag if they do it. Never more than that.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips at airport

There will be a Couples lounge after you get through Customs. Don't let anyone take your bag prior to getting to the lounge. They will want a tip for wheeling it 10 feet! Once you get to the lounge, they will probably take your bags to get ready to take to the bus. They will want (and ask for) $1 per bag, so keep your carry on and purse with you if you don't want to pay for all of those. I would never part with my purse anyway, but I've seen people hand everything over. When you get to the bus, they will hand your bags off to the driver, and then I would tip them. The driver should get a tip, too, and I'd tip them when you arrive at the resort. And US is fine, if not even preferred.