We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Haverhill...
Level Contributor
229 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

Hello,

This is not our first trip to JA but have not stayed at any of the places mentioned. Blue Cave Castle has been home to us and we love it! This time though we are looking for a bit more with a bit more to spend- looking for a bar, pool, AC. Planning a trip for 10 nights. We do want something private. Preferably right on the water with its own sea access. I have visited a few of the places personally and looked on line for info.

What I am hoping is that some of you who have stayed at these places might have some suggestions on which rooms/villas you might recommend for privacy, AC and that water access.

Thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

Cottages #1 & 4 at Xtabi offer a loft bedroom, kitchenette. 2 bathrooms with outdoor shower, large terrace right on the sea with sea access but no AC. Good photos on Negrilonestop.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
229 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

Yes! 4 is available our dates.. How about the privacy factor? Is it closer to or further from the restaurant. We were just there and didnt get a chance to walk to through and take notes!

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

Rockhouse 2 at Tensing Pen:

http://www.negrilonestop.com/tensingpen.shtml

Scroll down the photos of rooms, and the last picture will be a map of the resort. It is old and does not have the pool, but it is behind Rockhouse 1.

Rockhouse 2 will have a great ocean view, most private location imo at Tensing Pen, and ac.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

i love xtabi, but their pool is always dirty. if you HAVE to have a pool, don't stay there.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

Was going to stay in #4 at Xtabi, but it fell thru so don't know about privacy factor. Could call up Negrilonestop and ask, or email hotel to find out which one you can see from the public deck. ... It's pretty far, don't think anyone would be able to see much of anything.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

If you can get Rock Cottage 2 at tensing go for it. High demand for that room though. We stayed in Garden A and it was faily private.

We stayed in Ssky Cottage at Catcha. Sagitarious would be more private i think.

I do't think there is private sea access at any of the rooms for Catcha and tensing.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

There is no pool or bar but if you want private, consider Seagrape Villas, specifically the Wildgrape cottage---I have been staying there for 10 years or so and love it! Grocery store right across the road for your own Appleton and Red Stripes....

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
229 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

So we are leaning towards Rock House. No one has commented yet on it.

I did find an old post with a map of the property but I am not sure how accurate it is currently. Any one have a suggestion on the most private Vills with sea access?

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

I am sure Rockhouse would be wonderful, have only gone for dinner.

One thing to remember when you are booking a room with Rockhouse is you are booking a room style, not a SPECIFIC room. At TP and Catcha, you are actually reserving a specific room. This helps in letting you know exactly where you will be staying, no surprises. At Rockhouse you can request a villa( with every attempt to accommodate you ) , but no guarantees. However, that can be good also, because if you do not like your specific villa you can request a change to something else if available.

Also, there are only 8 premium villas, so I am sure each is very special.

One thing I like about Rockhouse when I dined there, the restaurant is away from the villas. They had gates up that did not allow entrance to the hotel area from those only coming for dining in the restaurant. This imo, should allow for a more private and serene area for their guest. Also, when I did my research for my first cliff visit, I was told that Rockhouse has the nicest swim area in the Cliffs.

Enjoy !

Edited: 02 July 2013, 14:26
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tensing Pen, Rock House, Catcha, or Xtabi-Room suggestions?

Tensing Pen is GORGEOUS. But the nicest, more isolated cabins do not have air conditioning.