We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

Bethesda, Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

I've finally booked our flights for our first time in Jamaica. We chose to stay at Tensing Pen since my friends have raved about it.

Rock Cottage II is not available during our stay. (Pine Pillars was over budget as well). We narrowed it down to Cove Cottage or South Pillar. Any suggestions?? Ive been reading the reviews. My only concern is that Cove Cottage has little privacy due to its location near the bridge. Cove Cottage looks very romantic and has indoor shower. Im mainly looking for a great ocean view and a little bit of quiet/privacy to just read on the patio.

thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

I have only stayed in the North Pillar so far...and if we weren't staying in RH II next visit...would have no problem going Pillar again...

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,236 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

Since you mention quiet/privacy, reading on the patio, have you considered Seagrape2? It's tucked away in the trees and I thought quite charming (my friends stayed there and loved it).

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

We stayed in the South Pillar a few years ago, our only time at Tensing Pen, and REALLY enjoyed it (wrote a lengthy review if you want to read it). The views are spectacular!!! I can't do a direct comparison though with Cove Cottage, having never stayed there. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either choice!

Seeing that your airfare is locked in and TP fills up extremely fast, I'd book soon before your top choices disappear.

Bethesda, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

SG II is unavailable. The patio seems to be better for South Pillar too. Ill take a look at your review! I put a hold on South Pillar and just waiting for their credit authorization email.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

you honestly can go wrong with either, We have made 20 or so trips to Tensing Pen. most of the time in the Cove Cottage and a few in the Pilliars. We stay in the cove more because I have a bad knee and the stairs to the pillar do not work out that great, I do love the outdoor shower the pillars have. View from both are great, you will love TP

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

Hi mrsesca, Good move choosing South Pillar. I have stayed at all the cottages at TP and the Cove Cottage has no privacy at all. It is lovely, but it is small and it is right in the line of vision to the sea from the bar, pool and dining area. Bon Voyage....

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

SFJAM bot sure when you last stayed at TP. The cove cottage is very private, what was the kitchen in the old days is now the long house and the kitchen and bar are now located in the old great house, the Bar, Kitchen and Pool are quite removed from the area the cove cottage is in. as For Privacy the cove is very private as the only access is a private bridge that leads to the cove cottage. It has a large outdoor sitting area with two chairs, table and umbrella and plenty of room for two more chairs is needed if you have friends over for a afternoon drink. I don't mean anything personal but could you be confused about which cottage cove is?? it is right beside south pillar and just across the cove from Middle pillar,

Timm

Don't Tread on Me

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

Hi. I have been there lately, the last time in August. I actually stayed in the Cove at one time. I found it to be very unprivate since it is so cute everyone wants to check it out. I mean, they can't help it. Once you are inside it is private and very nice, but if you want to sit out on your patio, not. I love the thought of it since it looks like magic little gingerbread house, but the reality was different. I have to agree though that anywhere at TP is wonderful. I do like more privacy though, part of my New England upbringing I guess. Thanks for being specific. I do not mean to diss anyone's opinion.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

Sorry, I meant to say April of this year I was there. Hey both April and August start with A so I wasn't that far off. I did not stay at TP, but at Citronella. I aways visit TP when I am in Negril and say hi to my friends who work there. The grounds are still spectacular. The owners kids are the same ages as my sons and they were good friends growing up. They lived at TP so my sons hung out with them on our vacations. They are all grown and moved away now, wow, so fast.

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tensing Pen- Cove Cottage or South Pillar?

Actually, it's not completely private when you're inside unless you close the doors. From the middle pillar you see knees and feet on the cove cottage bed when doors are open. With that said, we're staying there again because it's a really cool cottage and the pillars weren't available.. The cove cottage is also much less claustrophobic with the big patio. To be fair about privacy, South and Middle pillar both have complete views of each others veranda. Really not a big deal.