We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset at the Palms, Negril

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset at the Palms, Negril

My boyfriend and I are thinking of staying at this resort for 10 days, we prefer beachfront, however have heard that the walk to the beach is not a big deal and this sounds like a unique experiance. Can anyone help me with a few questions I have.

- Is there any liquor in the room, we are used to Riu with liquor dispensors

- Is There a mini bar with beer and if so how often is it restocked

- Is there a safe in the room

- How is the nighlty entertainment? is there any shows that the resort puts on

- Is the bugs reall an issue?

Thank you!

Canada
Level Contributor
464 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

I guess the answer to many of these questions will depend on when you plan on staying.

SATP is turning into an adults only resort in 2013 and they plan to add fridges to all the rooms with stocked beer in the fridge. I am assuming it will be Red Stripe since that is what they served exclusively while we were there.

No liquer dispensers like the Riu. I'll also say - SATP is nothing like the Riu. If you loved your stay at the Riu there are two on each side of SATP. Riu Tropical Bay has a nicer beach if you are considering either.

There is a safe in the room - it is a key safe, not a card and there is only your key, if you lose it, it's $50 - brother in law found this out the hard way. We hid ours in our room so we wouldn't have to worry about the key during the day.

Nightly entertainment is nice - no big shows (again, nothing like the Riu) but there were nightly singers/bands - something every night. If you are looking for Elvis and the circus, this is not your place.

Bugs - we came prepared with everything we could find. I'm not sure we even sprayed bug spray once. We did get a few bites our last night there but it was not crazy. We did take others advise and we were off the beach every night by supper to avoid the sand flies. The rooms are set in the jungle - there are bugs. If mosquitoes are drawn to you normally I'm sure they'll love you there too, we didn't find bugs an issue at all.

We had a great time at SATP - it is even more beautiful in person than any picture could show you. The beach is across the road but it is a non issue. Out the gates, guided across the road by a friendly attendant, down a walkway with the beach in front of you. Once you are there there is no need to leave. The beach is there, there is shade, the bar......, the food is awesome and the bathrooms are nice and clean - oh and then there is the amazing water. Nope, no need to leave that beach.

Again - if you are looking to duplicate your Riu vacation - this will not do it. But if you are looking for something more intimate and personal - SATP is stunning and we'd go back in a heartbeat.

Maryland
Level Contributor
152 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

I think that gghope answered your questions. We too love SATP. It s beautiful and unique. The rooms are great and the staff is amazing. We found the nightly shows somewhat lacking but the piano player at the martini bar was great, we loved him. Not a party place while we were there. I will be glad when fridges are stocked in the rooms. That would be a nice addition.

Negril
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

It'll be very cool when it switches over to Adults only......just hope it doesn't lose it's rustic charm and Chique-feel!!!!???

I wouldn't choose any other place in Negril.....it's very personal and relaxing...the staff are the best, so make sure you have small $$ bills to tip accordingly...they do deserve a little extra...and it counts too!!!!

Enjoy and Chillax!!!

RESPECT XXX

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

Just booked SATP today for our 1st year anniversary in NOV 2013. I was hoping it will be Adults Only by then but the website says Dec 2013. Close enough!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

I ended up booking this resort for 10 days in October! I will let you know how it was. From what I have been reading there is not that many kids at this resort anyways it's more of a couples vibe.

michigan
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

For those of you who have stayed at Sunset at the Palms.............

In December this year, my best friend and I would like to do a trip to Negril. We will leave our husbands at home with the kids. I have been to Negril last year and stayed at Couples Swept Away. My question is, Is Sunset geared for couples only or would 2 women be ok for staying here. And does anyone know if there are 2 beds in the rooms or are there only 1 king. ? I have stayed at so many AI in big mega resorts, so I am aware that this one is different. Beaches, Couples, Sandles is a little too much of what we want to spend. Please help

United States
Level Contributor
11,255 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

"have heard that the walk to the beach is not a big deal"

To get to the beach you go to the front gate of the hotel. You then cross Highway A1, the main road around the island with lots of cars, trucks, busses, etc., and it is about another 200 yards to the beach.

Toronto
Level Contributor
662 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

Here is a list of what's in the room:

Sixty-five of the 86 rooms at the Palms are set within a series of stilted bungalows (referred to as "treehouses") across the lush property.

Interestingly enough -- and perhaps an indication of past problems -- a formal letter is placed in every room reminding guests that marijuana is in fact illegal in Jamaica, and any guests caught smoking the substance on property will have to contend with the local police. That’s fair warning: guests who hope to delve deep into the Irie life might consider staying somewhere with a more lax attitude toward alternative substances.

Platform bed with quilted cotton bedspread and silk throw pillows, which are classic and chic -- like something from Restoration Hardware

Rooms are furnished with tasteful dark-wood, "Bali-meets-Pottery-Barn" décor, as one TripAdvisor reviewer put it.

Spacious desks

TV stand/drawer combo for the 26-inch Panasonic television.

Free Wi-Fi

Every room at the resort comes with a wonderful balcony and daybed -- perfect for reading or taking a nap.

Modern bathroom that features a slate shower with five different showerheads and vessel sinks. The bathroom also came with

Luxury resort-made toiletries, including coconut and molasses soap, a cucumber and aloe after-sun balm (which soothed my sunburn for hours), a citrus body wash and shampoo

Ceiling fans and air conditioners

Old tube TVs

One free bottle of water per room (more available for purchase at the gift shop)

Teakettles with various tea packets

Turndown service

Treetop Deluxe Rooms feature a spacious one-room bedroom with large bathroom and expansive furnished deck overlooking the ground’s gardens.

Treetop Villas are two-story units with a king-size master bedroom, and a second living room whose couches convert into two twin beds. The villa also includes two bathrooms, two expansive balconies, and a small outdoor dining space.

---

I got the information here: oyster.com/jamaica/…

Also has great pictures. I usually use TripAdvisor and Oyster.com when looking at All Inclusives. TA for honest guest reviews, Oyster for HD pictures.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

I've read it's not a place for cigarette smokers either. No smoking in rooms or balconies. One or two designated areas for smoking.

Garnet:

It's not couples only like Sandals and Couples.

RIU's probably have rooms with 2 full beds. As mentioned, Tropical Palace has a much better beach.

For two ladies, I'd recommend a room with 2 beds at Charela Inn. Various AI plans are available, full or partial. It is close to many other good restaurants and bars also - but the food there is very good, all a la carte, no buffets. Sea view rooms available, great beach. Live entertainment Thursdays and Saturdays, plus live reggae bands close by other nights of the week. Seastar Inn provides free transportation to and from their Saturday night buffet and live show (singers, Jamaican drummers and dancers). Idle Awhile, next door, has live entertainment on the beach Friday nights.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 07:59
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset at the Palms, Negril

If interested in finding out more about Charela and it's AI options, have a look here:

www.negrilonestop.com/charelainn_rates.shtml

They're a great agency, specializing in Negril and have a toll free number to answer any questions. It's quite affordable if staying before Dec 15th, although adding on the full AI option including drinks, adds on another $100 pp. Other options available for less. And fridges in the rooms if you don't mind mixing your own drinks (if you take along insulated tumblers, you can easily take them with you to the beach or pool).