We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue in Negril this time of the year

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue in Negril this time of the year

Hello fellow travellers,

I was just about to book 10 days @ Sunset at the Palms starting from the 12th of August when I remembered about dengue. Considering I'll be there during rainy season, I was wondering how a real threat it might be. I would like to enjoy my time there and not worry about every mosquito bite or be seriously limited in what I can do - ie, sitting at the bar in the evenings or watching the stars at night. I have a friend who got dengue and, seriously, I don't want THAT.

Thanks in advance for every useful info.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

Hi GLMacFreely, I have been to Negril often in the rainy season and haven't heard of any Dengue Fever cases there. This is not to say it does not happen. It has never been on my radar there.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

thanks for your reply.

I know it's sort of a remote possibility but it still bothers me. I mean, it's mosquitoes, you can use all the DEET you want -which is annoying enough- but they always find a way to bite you and in the end it all comes down to luck of the draw. How do you deal with that?

I know, I'm chicken.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

Dengue Fever can happen anytime in Jamaica or other tropical countries - there' s no "season" per se. I've seen incidents reported most often in October when the rain is the heaviest in Negril but a friend of mine got it last December. Dengue is carried by day biting mosquitoes which tend to be a bit larger than the non-Dengue types. The only prevention there is is to be dligient with repellant - you don't need 50% DEET, a 10% solution works just as well. There are several brands of sunscreen that have mosquito repellant in them. Since it is only carried by day biting bugs you don't need to be as vigilant at night but its a good idea to pick up a mosquito coil for your room and make sure the room you are booking has screens on the window.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

If you're only staying a few days or a week most people who get it usually don't get the symptoms until they get home. It usually comes with a rash, but if you are sun burnt doctors might not see the rash, so let them know you were in Jamaica. I thought my wife got it one time after coming home from Negril aftera 9 day stay. Ended up just being a virus and was gone after 4 days in bed.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

Incubation is roughly 4 days and it was in fact around the end of Sept, beginning of Oct last year. My wife and I were hanging out with a couple we met at the hotel, and her husband came down with it. The poor guy looked HORRIBLE and was laid up for a few days. He saw Dr Grant I believe and was diagnosed. Wear repellant if you are concerned, especially if you are O positive blood type. Mosies think I'm a buffet, so I use repellant most of the time and take coils as well.

Keep in mind this is the only trip where I heard about any dengue stories, and I have been many times. My massage therapist also confirmed two other cases and stated her son got it once as well.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

Look at this map, while several years old it's probably similar to what happens most years.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dengue06.png

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

thanks all for your replies.

There's this map I've found, with infos about the latest outbreaks:

http://www.healthmap.org/dengue/index.php

There currently is an outbreak in Jamaica - and half the Caribbean, for what matters.

There's even one in Cancun. I didn't know it was a risky zone, I've been there a couple of years ago without seeing ONE single mosquito. That's what I don't understand: is this thing a real risk or just something that MIGHT happen but usually doesn't and shouldn't deter anyone, like being attacked by a shark while surfing or encountering a mountain lion in Montana

I was really looking forward to going to Jamaica but I fear I might get psychotic at every bite. My friend who got dengue scared me good.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

"Keep in mind this is the only trip where I heard about any dengue stories, and I have been many times. "

I hear of outbreaks each and every fall as I'm pretty tied in with the residents in Negril. Dengue is the kind of thing that each time you get it, it hits you harder. The other thing you can do to prevent getting it is to stay away from any standing water - puddles after a rain, marshy areas,etc. Try to go and enjoy and not worry or rebook your trip for one of the dryer months such as December, January or February.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

"That's what I don't understand: is this thing a real risk or just something that MIGHT happen but usually doesn't and shouldn't deter anyone, like being attacked by a shark while surfing or encountering a mountain lion in Montana".

The statistics are there...the population in Jamaica is approx 3mill (plus visitors) & less than 100 confirmed cases this year.

From my real life experience...my partner has been living here full time for over 20yrs & had dengue once in the '90's....I've lived here almost 7yrs, am a mosquito magnet & I've never had dengue.

The health ministry here in Jamaica has been doing mass prevention by spraying the effective areas island wide.

Come on down...spray with deet if you have a tendency to get bit up...don't overly worry yourself ...and have a fabulous vacation!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue in Negril this time of the year

Thru the middle of May there were 96 confirmed with 475 suspected per the Gleaner. jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php…

Since it has been 2 1/2 months since this article came out the number is likely much higher. And how many cases are not reported? Is it a reason to cancel a trip? Absolutely not, however it is a good reason to use common sense and apply repellant to minimize your chances........