We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers to Negril.

Hull UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first timers to Negril.

Hi, I am staying at the Riu Negril in 2 Weeks and had a few questions.

Is it save to leave the complex?

Could anyone recommend any must see places or must do trips?

Should I take us dollars or Jamaican dollars?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers to Negril.

Hi, I am staying at the Riu Negril in 2 Weeks and had a few questions.

Is it save to leave the complex? Yes!

Could anyone recommend any must see places or must do trips? Too many to mention, just look over the forum.

Should I take us dollars or Jamaican dollars? I take 60% JMD and 40%USD. I pay my transfer, tours, resort/hotel in USD and everything else in JMD.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Loo over the forum, have fun.

Thanks

Hull UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers to Negril.

Thankyou

Hull UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers to Negril.

Thankyou

United States
Level Contributor
11,832 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers to Negril.

"Could anyone recommend any must see places or must do trips?"

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147313-c151729/Negri…

"Should I take us dollars or Jamaican dollars?"

Do you mean what currency should be in your pocked on the plane with you when you leave the UK? If so, bring Sterling (but no Scottish notes) and some US dollars. Do not bring any Jamaican dollars with you from the UK. See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c140152/Jamai…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

"Any tips or advice"

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c159330/Jamai…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c145172/Jamai…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c151864/Jamai…

Edited: 23 August 2013, 21:40
Telluride, Colorado
Level Contributor
224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers to Negril.

One Love Bar Crawl!!! Cost is free but tip Lenbert $10-20pp. 76 days till my next One Love trip!

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,483 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timers to Negril.

No need to bring Jamaican cash - just bring $US. Shout if any further questions after you scout out the past 'best things to do" threads.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timers to Negril.

Hi Hulljane1, Yes, by all means get out of Dodge and enjoy Jamaica. I recommend bringing lots of small bills to tip with and pay with. I usually bring a small amount of US and then use my ATM card to get Jamaican dollars. I carry a little calculator in my pocket work the exchange rate. It's pretty simple stuff. Things you should do: Try really good Jerk chicken at Bourbon Beach, Three Dives, Da Bar or Kevin's Seasoned to the Bone stand. Have it with a cold Red Stripe. Go to Rick's to watch the divers. Do not eat there, but have a beer and watch the tourists and the Jamaicans. Try a cliffside dinner at Ivan's or Rockhouse. Walk the length of the 7 mile beach during the day. It is an incredible walk. Stop for a cold Red Stripe. Learn how to say "No Thank You" and keep going. Learn how to do the "knuckle bump" and keep going, even when people want to shake your hand. And most of all, have a great time.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timers to Negril.

hulljane1 , you live in hull and ask `is safe to leave the complex?` ,

(only pulling your leg by the way)

, we are about to book for next may and this will be our 4 th time to Jamaica , you just have to learn to say NO very quickly when offered anything off complex ( believe me you will be offered EVERYTHING ) , do not accept any `freebies` including aloe for the sunburn as you will be ripped off being a tourist, Jamaica is as safe as any other island , just don`t wear expensive `bling` ( JOKING ) , we can`t wait til may to be `IRIE`.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timers to Negril.

The only problem you're going to encounter is being bitten by the "Negril" bug which results in the need to keep coming back. We've traveled to a lot of places but once we found Negril its the place we keep coming back to. First stay was @ an AI. They tried discouraging our leaving the property but once we walked 7 mile beach we left every day. Now we do the non AI thing and love it! Have fun!!

Leitchfield
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: first timers to Negril.

We take a couple hundred dollars in US $1. We've never had any problem leaving the resorts. Hire you a safe driver and explore. You will be approached to buy everything, if not interested politely say "no thank you"....for they are just trying to make a living. A must see is Rick's Cafe, 7 Mile Beach and if you love a beautiful laid back secluded beach visit Half Moon Beach. They have a great lobster dinner at sunset. Negril is absolutely amazing. The ride from the airport to the resorts can seem like a wild ride but once you get there you will love it. Safe travels.....enjoy paradise!