We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

I'm researching Luxury Boutique hotels that HAVE pools in Negril on the beach (not on the cliffs).

The only one that I can find with a sizable pool is Sandy Haven.

Do you know of any others?

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

I don't think there are any luxury boutique hotels on the beach. Sandy Haven might be the nicest, but the reviews are mixed and make me skeptical. Looked like a ghostown in May.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

Moondance Villas comes to mind.

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

Moon Dance Villas would be very nice if you can afford it. Quite pricey.

My opinion of Sandy Haven...would more than likely have the newer finishings your party may be looking for...but management seems to cater to people with money and/or are unaware of going prices for transfers and other non included items. You could stay there and shop around for transfers, close by bars and restaurants if you want, or just be prepared to pay a bit more on site. You can sometimes gets deals on booking sites. Check out Trivago.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

I dont like Sandy Havens policy on outside food and drinks, and their service for dining seems to be less than desired.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

I agree with BP, based upon your recent posts and requirements for this vacation it seems Moondance Villas would be your best option. I too am apprehensive about recommending Sandy Haven based upon reading negative posts here on TA and a property tour we took while staying at CLP this past December (Christmas Week) and walking by this past July. I also agree with cebakes, it was a like a ghost town even during Christmas week. In fact a few locals we know referred to it as "Shady Haven" (lol).

Edited: 30 August 2013, 22:26
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

What does this mean "shop around for transfers" ?

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

I agree, it does not get the best reviews and its never full when we stay next door at Coco, luxurylink.com has some pretty good offers as does groupon but read the fine print. I don't like the idea of paying for everything and they will not let you bring in outside drinks and food, that's why we are regulars at Coco.

Other than Moondance there are no luxury boutique hotels in Negril and resort wise you will only find 4 star, no 5 star resorts along seven mile beach.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 23:01
Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
735 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

Idle Awhile doesn't have a pool but I would consider it the most boutique on the beach. They have a sister property called hide awhile in the cliffs. It does have a pool.

I have never found a pool in Negril that looked inviting.

Peace

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

From what I've read, SH charges quite a bit more than the going rate for everything, including airport transfers, arranged excursions, and food and drink. Non AI travelers usually book transfers and excursions themselves. You will find threads recommending drivers for airport and excursions, ie: Ashton Pitt. Plus there is a recommended driver list that you'll find on the upper right corner of the Negril forum page.

I don't know if SH did away with their "no outside food and drink" policy or not. If they still have it and don't allow you to use your fridge for your own drinks, that is another reason I wouldn't stay there. I agree with others comments. A lot of good reviews, at least in the beginning, looked fake. However, I did chat with someone who stayed there and enjoyed it, but got their own taxis and transfers and were out and about Negril a lot. My biggest concern are some reviews which state that if you look and act like you have money, you get good service, but if you don't blindly accept their prices and question them or their wishy washy policies, you may not get the same good treatment.

If you're willing to risk that for a more modern hotel with a pool, it can be done, but I would search out a discounted rate on Trivago and would not pay rack rate. It will not sell out so you could check rates over several months until you find a good one. Plenty of happy hours close by and good restaurants, no need to eat there or have more than an occasional drink. I honestly wouldn't risk it myself, but I don't care about a pool as the sea is SO nice and I prefer other accommodations. I do not fit into their target clientele at all so I know it's not a place for me. 😉 you could email them to ask what their outside food and drink policy is...and see if they give you a straight answer...posters here have seen a lot of comments that management is very wishy washy, so we hesitate to recommend.

MDV would be much better, but it starts at $600/night non AI for two people high season (still in March). I would recommend Idle Awhile, you can take their free shuttle to Hide Awhile for pool time. Probably a much better environment and service than SH. Or, again, Aqua Negril villa is very nice and you can sit in their jacuzzi. Nice bar there.

Other than that, if fancy and marble is non-negotiable, RPTB might be your safest best.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 23:37
Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxury Boutique Beach Hotels w/ Pools-Sandy Haven,what else?

Oops...bet