We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami airport short time between flights

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
101 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Miami airport short time between flights

We are scheduled to arrive at Miami airport at 9:20 a.m. and our flight to Montego Bay is scheduled to leave at 10:05 a.m. This is not our original plan but American Airlines changed our flight times in both directions. I've never been to the Miami airport so I'm wondering if we will have enough time to get from our arrival gate to our departure gate. Is it possible the gates are close together? Will we have to make a mad dash??

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

Guessing that you might make it, but your luggage won't.........

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

Ooh, that would'nt make me happy. I wonder how long before we'd get our bags if they don't make it. And if we'd have to wait at the airport for them or if they would be delivered to CSA. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that everything works out fine.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

You will be fine and yes your luggage should make it. The only time that you really have to worry about short times is on the way home, because of customs.

If by the off chance your luggage gets delayed or lost, they will deliver it to CSA for you.

I think dustmon was pulling your leg a little bit.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

See if your FA can tell you what gate you will be departing from and get off the plane and start your dash, you should be ok providing the terminals are not too far from each other

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

hahaha, just something else for me to get all nervous about. No stopping for a potty break on the way, LOL.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

This happened to me last year with american airlines, and it was a nightmare.

Do not worry about your luggage, you do not have to retrieve it, it will go thru to Montego Bay. The problems is Miami airport is big, and american airlines has no problems leaving you behind. We had to get off our plane, board a sky train, and literally RUN to our new terminal ( as they were announcing as we ran, " last and final boarding call". Literally plopped in our seats, and the airplane closed their doors. I am not even exaggerating about our " run" to the gait.

Not everyone made it- but their luggage did !

( they were removing the luggage from those left behind when we retrieved our bags).

I believe there was another flight going to Montego Bay later in the day, and the others were going to have to take that flight.

Hopefully they have made improvements from last year.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
732 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

We also have had to do the "run" through MIA in the past. We made it, our luggage didn't. It came the next day and all was well. Don't sweat it, think of it as an adventure! :)

Just pack all the necessities in your carry-on just in case. Also let the flight attendant on your first flight know, so that she can confirm your gate for your connecting flight. Also, try to get a seat as close to the front as possible so that you can run off the plane.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

Guess we were lucky with our flight that the luggage made it with such a short time between flights. Hopefully this will never happen to us again, but I will be sure to pack my carry on accordingly if it were to happen again.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

We were lucky in that our Miami departure gate was only 2 doors down from our arrival gate - but that didn't matter as we watched our American Airlines plane pull out and leave us behind while we were waiting to approach our gate! We had 8 in our party, and no available flights until late that night. So much for getting the earliest flight out to Jamaica, we ended up catching the last flight of the day and arrived at almost midnight - 12 hours late.

Hopefully your story doesn't end like ours did, hopefully they wait for you!

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miami airport short time between flights

hmm, now I'm stressing big time. But I guess there's really nothing I can do about it. I will try to go with the flow. We'll get there when we get there and we may or may not have any clothes to wear. I'm going to pack a swim suit in my carry on and hope for the best.