We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

On our next trip to Jamaica/Negril, we plan to stay directly on the 7 Mile Beach.

We have done the All Inclusive but are looking at other options.

Must be:

On the beach.

Close to other bars and eating establishments.

Central for walking conveniences.

True Jamaican Vibe! but not too small. (Staying for Two weeks in Feb 2014) lol

Any ideas of price for average meal or drink at beachfront restaurants?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

Try looking at Sandy Haven Resort or maybe Firefly Beach Cottages. You say "not too small" but all of the properties that are on the beach in Negril and are not all inclusive are on the small side. All inclusive resorts, however, tend to be much larger. You may want to consider staying at two different hotels if you will be there for two weeks.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

You didn't say your budget, but you could check http://www.negrilonestop.com/ for lots of great info.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

Lol could always do a split between Idle Awhile (non AI) and enjoy it and the local eateries/bands for dinners. Then move to Couples Swept Away for the last week and end your vacation with an all inclusive bang:) Just a thought..............let us all know what you decide, Negril is excellent.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

It you're looking non-AI, check out Coco LaPalm

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,134 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

Place Grand Pineapple on your list. It is a entry-level AI, has a great beach and a very nice location on Long Bay beach portion of the 7 mile beach.

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

There are plenty of hotels/villas to choose from on 7 mile. For "central" you would be looking for something on Long Bay, pretty much from Seawind resort through to Sunset on the Beach Hotel.

click the pdf link on the following map, then go to page 2:

http://www.negrilinfo.com/negril-map.html

Good places, centrally located on Long Bay are Idle Awhile (small, 15 rooms I think) Charela and Coco La Palm (about 80 rooms). These are close to lots of restaurants and have good beach areas. To me, Charela has more "true Jamaican vibe" although their restaurant has a slightly French influence. They offer an assortment of meal plans, including breakfast only if you choose. There's a wide mix of features at the hotels that only you can determine is what you're looking for. I like the old Jamaica style décor at Charela. Coco La Palm has all the amenities one would expect, although personally, I prefer something smaller with a more beach cottage feel, like Country Country, a bit further north (about a 10 minute walk from Coco). Country Country is small with about 17 "cottages" but they are expanding the number of rooms (won't be open for a while, perhaps not by Feb/14); their new restaurant/bar and pool should be open this month. A great made to order breakfast in included at CC. Coco has a more social atmosphere due to more guests and a daily happy hour. Idle Awhile has a more upscale décor compared to the others; they don't have a pool on site, but you can go to Couples Swept Away sports facility to swim in the pool there, or go to their quiet sister property on the cliffs.

Non AI Negril travelers have their favorites, based on their own priorities and tastes. It's a matter of you looking at reviews here and also looking at photos/videos (as mentioned, Negrilonestop has great photos and videos of the properties they represent - not all that are available on Long Beach, but the majority). Of course, taking into consideration your budget and value. Good prices can be found for Coco La Palm other times of the year, but I haven't seen great specials for February. February is at the height of high season so you will likely be paying the regular rate at any of the hotels mentioned, unless you are lucky enough to find a last minute sell off - or perhaps an early booking sale.

Dinners and drinks at the popular hotel restaurants and bars will typically run about the same as at home, or I find, a little less for similar where I live. There are plenty of happy hours though and lots of jerk stands on the street and smaller local restaurants where you can get good, authentic meals for quite cheap. You can buy good jerk pork or patties on the beach for just a few dollars; freshly squeezed juices, fruit, etc.

Do a search for a thread I started called "Negril happy hours and entertainment list" that outlines a lot of places to try.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest Sandy Haven when looking for a "Jamaican vibe". It's got the newest upgrades and is generally more expensive. Firefly is a bit towards the other end of the spectrum and has a clothing optional beach area.

Happy planning!

Edited: 07 September 2013, 01:29
Trempealeau
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

I second CCLP! Great location, not too small, centrally located, and the price is right!!

8. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 05:35
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

Coco La Palm also gets my vote, lot of places to eat nearby and you have a great beach.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay on the 7 Mile Beach ?

...And you can compare prices, amenities & photos of Coco vs. a bunch of other places on negrilonestop.com. Excellent site to comparison shop.