We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu- MoBay vs Negril

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
244 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Riu- MoBay vs Negril

Has anyone been to both? Which would you choose and why?

United States
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu- MoBay vs Negril

In Negril RIU has two hotels. Are you thinking about the RIU Clubhotel Negril or the RIU Palace Tropical Bay?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu- MoBay vs Negril

If you want a great beach, then RIU Tropical Bay.

If you want a Jamaican-themed resort rather than marble and glitz, then consider some of the resorts on Negril's Long Bay that are not Spanish owned and managed. Perhaps AIs managed by Couples or Sandals or non-AIs such as CoCo La Palm.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu- MoBay vs Negril

Negril - no question. If its a RIU you want, choose Riu Palace.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
244 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu- MoBay vs Negril

The choice is riu Negril (not palace) vs riu Mobay!

United States
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu- MoBay vs Negril

This is a hard call. Between the two I would go with the RIU Clubhotel Negril. The RIU Negril may be the largest hotel in Negril with about 420 rooms it is much more intimate than the Montego Bay RIU with well over 600 rooms. Second, one needs to select a room away from the road at the RIU Negril to keep noise levels down but at the RIU Montego Bay one cannot escape being right under the airport takeoff/landing path. Both resorts have the same annoying restaurant reservation policies so that is a draw between the two. If the beach is important to you then go with the RIU in Montego Bay. Also stay in Montego Bay if you want to avoid the much longer ride, about 1 hr. 15 min., to Negril.

"If its a RIU you want, choose Riu Palace"

Fully agree that this is a much better option than either the RIU Montego Bay or the RIU Clubhotel Negril.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
244 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu- MoBay vs Negril

I've free nights to use at a Riu. Can't be a palace. I'm surprised you like mo bay beach better. I've read tons of complaints on it.

Thanks for your response. It's appreciated.

United States
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu- MoBay vs Negril

"Can't be a palace. I'm surprised you like mo bay beach better. I've read tons of complaints on it."

The comparison of the beach is relative between the two RIU hotels you specified only and not between the two listed RIU hotels and beaches at other hotels on the island.

8. Re: Riu- MoBay vs Negril

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 05:18