We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
848 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

Our group of 4 will be in Negril the end of Nov. and are planning to visit the luminous lagoon as well as some other attractions in that area. Just wondering if anyone has visited the lagoon and what their opinion is. I am aware of how far it is from Negril. More interested in the experience. We have a private boat lined up to take us from Duncan's bay beach to the lagoon for $20.00 per person.

Also..has anyone toured Green Grotto Caves? Opinion and are there snakes in the cave? (I hate snakes)

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
802 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

We went to the luminous lagoon about 3 years ago with our kids. Worth every penny! They still talk about it. Very beautiful!

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

About 2 -2 1/2 hr ride from Negril.

Reviews are mixed, mainly due to weather.

See reviews here.

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Sunny Southern...
Level Contributor
218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

Taunaj - We've been there 4 times. Everytime has been different for the effect of the light/glow. Best is on overcast night or during New Moon phase. Certainly its something I would recommend. Its rare in the world, and its been said that Jamaica has the best area to see it. Be sure to swim in it. Its a trip to see yourself glow when you get out of the water. $20 is the going rate.

Bill & Dani

Canada
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

An amazing experience! I highly recommend it.

If you are doing other things in the Falmouth Area earlier in the day, check to make sure theire isn't a cruise ship in port. Of course that will not affect going to the lagoon at night.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 20:47
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,788 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

So you're doing the Duncans Bay beach first then the lagoon? Jealous :)

I too find the effect varies with the weather and the moon/cloud cover. And I second the recommendation to swim. It's not really salty as the water is mixed with fresh there, and in any case there are showers and changing rooms, though if you approach by private boat you probably need to buy something at the bar/restaurant to use it.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

We went from MoBay last year and combined it with a couple other excursions. It was fairly cool but not sure if I would do it again. My husband thought it was a waste of money. The best part is getting into the water. It was actually a pretty short little boat ride. Definitely try and plan it when the moon is less full and combine with other excursions.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 21:15
Canada
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

The moon phase is definitely important however consider this lucky coincindence:

We set out after dark and by the time we got to the right spot it was very dark as there are few lights out there. We had a great experience and went swimming. When we returned to the dock we could see a half-full moon just begining to creep over the horizon. Beautiful. So if you happen to be there when the moon is full or 3/.4, be sure to check when the moon rises before deciding against going. What we experienced was surely not as perfect as a new moon and going out later but it was impressive. Had that moon risen a couple hours sooner our experience would not have been near as great. Moonrise can occur quite late in the evening.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 22:11
Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
848 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

Thanks for all of the input. We have a full day planned, green gratto caves, dunns river, Duncan's bay for snorkeling and then the lagoon. It will be a long day but thats ok, we have a car, adventureous attitudes and no real schedule... No problem! (Yes we have driven in ja many times)

Edited: 19 September 2013, 00:10
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

Anyone know how far it is from Ocho Rios? I'd love to do it. On my bucket list :)

Nampa, Idaho
Level Contributor
848 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luminous Lagoon in Falmouth!

I would say 45 min to an hour at the most