We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril First Timer....questions!!!

South Shore, Mass.
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Negril First Timer....questions!!!

My best friend and I are leaving for Negril in 2 weeks for Spring Break! It is our first trip to Jamaica and we are staying at Riu Negril.

Just wondering if any of you seasoned Negril vetrans (and anyone who has stayed at Riu Negril) could answer a couple questions for me...

*What is the best way to deal with currency? Should we bring cash or travlers checks down and then convert there? Do they take debt cards? Are there alot of ATM's or are they hard to come by?

*When it comes to taxi's, I've heard that you shouldn't have the hotel call them for you, as they are very expensive, so you are supposed to get the outside the hotel, how exactly do you go about this? And how much should we be paying for say, a trip down the beach to The Jungle or Risky Business?

If there is anything else that a Negril newbie should know, fill me in!!! We are so very excited about this trip!!!!

Thank you all in advance!!!! =0)

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
5,861 Reviews
Jamaica
Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril First Timer....questions!!!

SoxGirl: If there were ATM's I did not see them in Negril. What I do is take cash--for those nights out, etc. Also, I change maybe 100 into J--at the Airport in MOBay. For anything that you want to do you can use US$. Most places take CC. Re Taxi--its a crap shoot! You will get one for 4US and the next one will want 8US!! So what can I say. For finding Taxi rides--you have no problem. It seems most of the cars are taxi's they are everywhere--no problem, just find out how much he wants before getting in. If it sounds ok! Take it.

Have a really good trip! You will love it. John R.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
South Shore, Mass.
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril First Timer....questions!!!

John,

Thanks for the advice! I'm sure it will prove to be very helpful in Negril!!! =0)

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Hartford CT
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril First Timer....questions!!!

Change the money at any cambio - the one at the airport is fine. Cabs are everywhere, and you'll wait like 30 seconds for one to pull over - ONLY take cabs with the red license plate - they are licensed and very professional.

To go ANYWHERE in Negril, including the Cliffs, any resort, all of it, for two people a maximum of 200 J. If they as for more just say "No thanks" and they'll either come down, or just wait for the next cab.

Been there 10 times and never had any real problem - if a cabbie tries to quote me a stupid price, I don't deal with him, just say no thanks, and walk away.

Most are real honest.

JB.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Hartford CT
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril First Timer....questions!!!

Change the money at any cambio - the one at the airport is fine. Cabs are everywhere, and you'll wait like 30 seconds for one to pull over - ONLY take cabs with the red license plate - they are licensed and very professional.

To go ANYWHERE in Negril, including the Cliffs, any resort, all of it, for two people a maximum of 200 J. If they as for more just say "No thanks" and they'll either come down, or just wait for the next cab.

Been there 10 times and never had any real problem - if a cabbie tries to quote me a stupid price, I don't deal with him, just say no thanks, and walk away.

Most are real honest.

JB.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril First Timer....questions!!!

SoxGirl...you're gonna have a BLAST!! Like Yamon said..make sure you ONLY use the taxi's with the RED license plates...and agree on a price BEFORE you get in the taxi. It'll probably cost you about $5-$7 US dollars to get to the Jungle from RIU..some may be more..some less..don't be afraid to "haggle"...

There are numerous ATM machines around Negril (probably one right in the RIU)..but traveller's checks are fine...and US and Canadian dollars are accepted everywhere.

Don't feel like you have to stay on your resort...the magic of Negril is getting out and meeting the people..seeing all there is to offer...walk the beach...eat at the little cafe's up and down the beach & cliffs...just HAVE FUN!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
South Shore, Mass.
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril First Timer....questions!!!

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for all your advice!!! 11 days and counting until I leave and I couldn't be more excited!!!! =0)

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril First Timer....questions!!!

Hello...

I've traveled to Jamaica 8 times in 6 years and nearly been all over the island.

I've visited Negril for a 7 Day 6 night package. I resided at Negril Gardens - a small but cozy 30 room hotel. You will notice that most hotels on Norman Manely Road occupy both sides of the street. There is a "Garden Side" and accross the street there is a "Beach Side".

I agree with Misske66...don't be a prisoner in your hotel room - get out and participate on the many tour packages and meet the Jamaican Locals...like anywhere else in the world - be nice but be smart. Carry small bills with you - american dollars like 5's and singles. Big bills raise big eyebrows...and you lose your "haggling edge" (smiling)

I've walked 4 miles of Negril sandy beach and saw 4 miles of developed beach property including bars, gift shops, hotels, restarants you can stop at bare foot and sit down to drink and dine.

If you use Jamaican dollars, make sure you understand the rate exchange. For instance ...estimate 50 Jamaican dollar bill to be more or less 1 US dollar. 500 Jamaica dollar bill equates to about more or less 8 US dollars. 1,000 Jamaican dollar bill to be more or less 16 US dollars. When you haggle with the Jamaican shop keepers, haggle wisely...dont show them 500 Jamaican dollars in your hand...and you want it only for 50 Jamaican dollars...don't show any money until you reach a deal. You will blow the deal if you flash and show them how "rich" you are! (smiling)

And yes they do take Debit Cards!! - I've used my Debit Card Visa at Negril's local Pharmacies, the Hi Lo Grocery Store, Gift shops, etc. I strongly suggest you buy your Jamaican Coffee and Rum at the Hi Lo Grocery Store/Supermarket. You can get 3 bags of Blue Mountain Coffee for almost the price of one at a gift shop.

ATMs are risky...use the one at the Jamaican Air port if you need cash. Keep in mind...the local ATMs are for Jamaican Banks like Victoria Mutual, Scotia Bank, Jamaica National Bank, etc. The ATMs may either reject or keep your ATM...so I would advise against using it locally.

I strongly suggest and insist you must go on the "APPLETON RUM TOUR". I really enjoyed it. At the end of the tour, the bar is open - you get to sample 15 FLAVORS of run....watch out for the white rum...real potent drink! And you will meet a friendly donkey who will show you how he and his ancestors past used to make rum. Donkeys used to be tether to a turn style that crush sugar cane to get its juice to make rum.

Of course, Negril's beautiful setting evening sun is worth bringing a cam corder to record.

If you want any more info on Negril, please e-mail me.

windjammer777

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril First Timer....questions!!!

There are ATM machines in the town centre. International debit cards work fine but there is usually a limit (as is the case in the US). The taxi's shouldn't cost more than $5 US to get anywhere in Negril. There are also route taxi's that pick up people along the strip (sort of like a bus service). Some of the route taxi's don't have red plates. For those who don't only take the ones that have route taxi and a taxi license number written on the door panel. These should cost you no less than $1 per trip. Have fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica