We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
993 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

We have been to Couples Swept Away twice. We love it there. We can truly relax. We have considered non all inclusive, but aren't sure if Negril is the place for us to try it.

Here is what we like:

1. A room on the nicer end with a Caribbean feel. Need a comfortable, quiet, clean room. Don't want a room that looks like grandma's house (we love grandma, but you know what I mean).

2 Security - We enjoy talking to the vendors, but when we want to relax we would like security there to be sure they aren't coming up to chairs every few minutes. Hubby and I are trying to escape our jobs and kids so don't want any hassles.

3. Close to a lot of beach bars and casual restaurants.

4. Plenty of beach space with decent loungers and umbrellas or shade.

5. Well managed property (stuff gets fixed etc)

Considering non all inclusive because by about 4 days or so we are kinda done with our food choices. When we went to Rockhouse (some of the best food of the week) we realized we might someday enjoy non all inclusive. Not huge eaters, but like local food. Some nights we just want to split a meal or eat something cheap on the beach, watch the sunset and go back to our room. When I am at all inclusive I feel like I almost over eat thinking I might miss something I already paid for! Also tired of the towel games. Want to wake up and go to the beach and know we won't have to fight for chairs and shade. I love the way Idle Awhile looks, but had a hard time sleeping in the atrium room at CSA so wondering if the lack of glass would be an issue. I think if I knew I could sleep there I would try it.

Don't get me wrong. We will go back to CSA FOR SURE. We love it. We are also looking at other islands like St Maartin and Anguilla (pricey!) Currently booked to go to St. Maartin, but can change this easily as we used air miles that have a lot of flexibility.

Anyone out there go to CSA and love it then find another place on the beach?

This forum is so great. Thanks for any advice!

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

Momof3, I love CSA, but Frangipani in Anguilla always catches my eye as a future destination.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

Speaking from past experience, I would cancel St. Maartin unless you are staying on the French side. I've been to SM a few times...all on the Dutch side since my friend had a time share there. The vibe is just not the same as Jamaica. It has become too commercialized ...especially because of the cruise industry. Once those behemoth ships docks, it's every man/woman/child for themselves. The Island isn't big enough to get away from the influx of cruise people. The French side is expensive but great shopping and no cruise ships but we watched the French Navy doing war exercises one day during lunch. It was a hoot!

To me, the island isn't as lush or relaxing as some others. And the beaches can not compare to Jamaica. Have you thought about St. Lucia? After saying that, I would still choose Jamaica in a heartbeat over St. Maartin. Just my two cents.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 12:12
Illinois
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

You may want to do some research into Isla Mujeres in Mexico. We have never been to this area, but it was recommended by a couple we met in Jamaica. I swore to never return to Mexico, but I am considering doing some research into this island, due to it's strong recommendation, especially for non AI travel.

I however, have yet to do the research into this area, but it may be worth a look.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

Did you find it too noisy with no glass windows or why did you have trouble sleeping? I think Idle Awhile, Charela or Aqua Negril would be good choices for you.

detroit
Level Contributor
126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

We are actually splitting our time next year between Couples Negril and a small resort called the Seastar Inn down on the West End. While not on the beach, they have a shuttle every day. They have a live Reggae show every Saturday that is quite popular with tourists from other resorts even. They have refrigerators at Seastar so our plan is to use some of our repeaters credit to buy some alcohol at the Couples gift shop and bring it down to the other resort to save some money. Oh the hotel does provide breakfast every day so that will help with the budget as well. Seastar also posts their menu on their website and it looks very reasonable...most importantly there is a swim up bar!! A friend of my husband's has been raving about the place for years so we are excited to check something else out while not giving up our Couples!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
993 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

I didn't sleep well in the atrium room because of the noise factor with no glass. Our atrium room though was the one that is right on the beach (killer views!).

I really want to stay somewhere right on the beach

Frangipanni - looks fabulous, but even in off season is around $300 a night. It looks very close to what we are looking for. Looking at Carimar also, but no a/c in the living room is a concern. Also a little worried about the high cost of food in Anguilla.

St Maartin - only looking at the french side. Either Grand Case Beach Club or a condo on orient. Looking probably at the off season although we will see. We have been there 4 times on cruises. Every time we are amazed by the food.

Looking at Charela Inn. Not sure if it is what we are looking for. I really like the looks of Idle awhile. They have almost no availability though til April.

We are open to location. If American flies there from Dallas then it is an option for us. Also considered Turks and Caicos, but not sure it has the vibe we love in Jamaica.

This is our problem that we compare every place to Negril! No Mexico this time.

We are open to suggestion!

Edited: 14 October 2013, 18:02
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
993 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

Norweigan - thanks for your Isla Mujeres suggestion. It has interested me before because of the beach, but I think we are not going to do Mexico this time as a couples trip because it works so well for our kids.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

I spent some time lurking in the Turks & Caicos boards about a year ago as we were stopping on Grand Turk on a cruise. The people on that board speak very, very highly of the Provo beach. It's something I've put away in the back of my mind for a possible future trip.

michigan
Level Contributor
827 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

We love Isla Mujeres, kids or no kids.

Waterford, NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Non All inclusive after Couples Swept Away?

Antigua? After many years in Jamaica we went there last year and were blown away by the island. Stayed at Sandals, being admitted Sandals fans, but rented a car and drove all over the place. There are a lot of nice places there, non AI, and some of the nicest beaches you can imagine, all in a place that feels completely comfortable no matter where you are. Headed back in March, then back to SRC in MoBay after that - can't be away from Jamaica too long.