We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

I booked a vacation package, to Negril, and received a voicemail yesterday that the returned flight has been cancelled and I need to call them.

I have yet to get a hold of them, has anyone dealt with this before. Unfortunately, I booked on one of the smaller airlines (won't mention until I hear from them) and they have no other flights that day, the day before or the day after.

If I have to rebook this vacation, the cost is extremely higher now, and I would not be too happy about that.

Does anyone know, do they try and book you on a different airline, and if so, the airline we were using included 2 free checked bags, how do I make sure they honor this on the return flight on another airline?

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
890 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

Need a little more info for an informed statement----

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

Dustmon - such as?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

Two free checked bags should be the least of your concerns.

Your vacation package is in default of their obligations so you are well within your rights to demand and expect a full and immediate refund then book with another carrier.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

My guess would be which airlines? Maybe some have dealt with them and can give you some advice.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

How did you book the package? Did you purchase travel insurance? If you used a travel agent they should be able to rebook at the same cost since it was circumstances out of your control. Good luck dealing with any airlines-unfortunately the ball is in their court and they take full advantage of it!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

I jut got off the phone with them - and yes - I'll name them cause I am not a happy camper Southwest/Airtran. These are their solutions:

They offered me a return flight that they could book me on - 14 days later.

or

Could refund the whole trip in full

or

Could keep the hotel reservation and refund the airfare only.

The current packages are running $5-600 more than what I paid. She did offer me the full refund on airfare, even though I did receive a $200 off promo code (I didn't bring that up), so I am getting 5 nights at the Riu for only $740, so I'd like to keep the hotel booked with them, but to get the exact dates that they were scheduled for, the airfare is of course the highest. I have a little flexibility by a day or two and could find cheaper flights if I could move it, but I'm sure they would not be willing to change the dates of the hotel reservations.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

I still think they should book you on another carrier on the date you originally planned to depart. That would be the "right" thing to do - that and eat any fare difference on your behalf. BP is right - they are in breach of contract if they do not do this.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

Rastagirl -I agree!!!! I'm on the phone with Airtran right now to see if this is possible. Don't you think Southwest Vacations should be doing this and not me???? She told me to call Airtran because they are not offering a change of carriers and I would need to call them directly - UGH

Trempealeau
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

That's right. The law says if your flight changes something like five hours one way or the other, the airline HAS to book you on another carrier. Seem strange that Airtran didn't do this automatically. I learned that cause American changed my flight time to arrive 3 hrs later. I called them and that's what they told me.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Return flight cancelled on vacation package - now what?

Obayb - they are moving with the path of least resistance - unfortunately big companies such as this will try to let people think there is "nothing they can do" when in fact the law says otherwise. Keep on 'em.