We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea grass

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Sea grass

Hi: Went to Iberostar Montego Bay last year and there was too much see grass for me. I thought Negril would be different but I just read a review for Sandals negril saying there is lots of sea grass (not talking about seeweed) Is there any place in Negril or Montego bay where you dont step in sea grass as you step out from the knees to the waist.

Also Bloody Bay vs Seven Mile beach area - can I walk from Bloody Bay for the seven miles and see other hotels and restaurants and bars ( I thought I remember reading that some hotel actually cuts you off btwn Bloody Bay and the full seven mile beach.

thanks.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea grass

Sandals Negril and the RIU Club Negril are the only problematic resorts for sea grass that I am aware of. All other Negril resorts (and there are several dozen on the beach) have a clean bottom. Try Couples Negril or Couples Swept Away instead if you want a high end adult resort.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
805 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea grass

You cannot walk the beach from Bloody Bay to Long Bay. You would need to take a cab there and back if you wish to walk the beach and visit the local bars/restaurants.

If that is important to you, and you are looking for an adults-only, couples-only resort that you won't have any issue with sea grass, then I'd suggest you take a look at Couples Swept Away.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea grass

It is not a resort that prevents you from walking from Bloody Bay to Long Bay (the two, combined in length yields 7 miles [more or less]). It is a rocky outcropping called Rutland Point. There is no beach along the water at the Point. Now, it does turn out that there is a resort build on top of the Point, but that is not the issue. There is no beach.

Take a taxi to an eatery called Cosmo's (you by pass several AIs that way); have a seafood lunch or just walk thru and turn left.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea grass

Sea grass, as annoying it seems to tourist, has a purpose. The sea grass helps to minimize shore sand erosion during storms.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea grass

"Also Bloody Bay vs Seven Mile beach area - can I walk from Bloody Bay for the seven miles and see other hotels and restaurants and bars ( I thought I remember reading that some hotel actually cuts you off btwn Bloody Bay and the full seven mile beach."

The short answer---No

The explanation---Were it not for Hedo or Grand Lido, you could easily walk the whole 7 miles (more or less), but neither resort will allow you to enter their property from the beach or service drive. therefore you have to exit to the road from your Bloody Bay resort, walk the road for quite a distance to get past the a/I resorts and return to the beach.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 23:24
Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea grass

I thought all the beaches on 7-mile are public?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea grass

They are public, below the high water line which amounts to maybe 10ft of shoreline, but you have to get to that point first without cutting through property. This cannot be done between Hedo & Grand Lido because of Rutland Point.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea grass

Ah gotcha....thanks BP

Ft. Myers, FL
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea grass

Not true can walk through Hedo, but can't get through Point Village